Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Kitchen appliances, buy now or wait?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 2:58 am
IYH I might be making Aliyah in about a year. I've had my eye on some new kitchen appliances, but I'm wondering if I should buy them in the US and bring them over to use with a converter, or just buy Israeli ones and not have to worry about the plug (overheating, loss of power, burning down the house, voiding warrantees, etc.)

I'm especially thinking of getting a heavy duty mixer with an industrial motor - something expensive and fancy. I'd cry a million tears if I broke it the first time I plugged it into the converter. I've already melted a cell phone charger (with a converter) so I'm really leery of electrical issues.

TIA

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 3:00 am
I would buy here. You then have the appliance under warranty, and you know it is suitable for the electricity.
Of course I don't know what the price dif is. Take a look at Israeli prices:

http://www.zap.co.il/models.aspx?sog=e-mixer

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 3:06 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
I would buy here. You then have the appliance under warranty, and you know it is suitable for the electricity.
Of course I don't know what the price dif is. Take a look at Israeli prices:

http://www.zap.co.il/models.aspx?sog=e-mixer

VERY comparable prices. This is extremely helpful, thanks! Very Happy

etky

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 3:20 am
In general I would agree with Tablepoetry that it is better to buy appliances here.
However, I just read a discussion on a list I subscribe to specifically about using US mixers on a converter. It seems that there are some converters that are really heavy duty and people have been using their US mixers for decades w/o any problems. I don't know how much a good, heavy duty mixer costs in the States but here they are usually well over 2000 shekel (about $600) and I don't know if they would have the sort of mixer you have in mind. Look at what's available on the Zap site that TP linked. I guess you would also have to factor in the cost of the converter.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 3:24 am
2000 - 2500 shekel is right in my range. I know a good converter can run $100 US or more, and I hear that they will drive up your electric bill, too. I hear electricity is not cheap in Israel. Lots to factor in.

etky

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 3:28 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
2000 - 2500 shekel is right in my range. I know a good converter can run $100 US or more, and I hear that they will drive up your electric bill, too. I hear electricity is not cheap in Israel. Lots to factor in.

Then I would buy the mixer here too. I guess the converter is a good idea for people who are coming with a mixer that they already have and love and don't want to give up.

Raisin

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 6:23 am
I bought my magic mill mixer in an american shop because it was cheaper. I just asked for the european voltage. (which is the same as Israel, I believe.) I've never quite got round to changing the plug though. Confused

So either buy in Israel, or see if you can buy the correct voltage in the states and bring it with, but with shipping etc it might make as much sense to buy in Israel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions