Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Financial planner

amother

Post Sun, Sep 02 2007, 6:51 pm
Anyone use a financial planner? Was it helpful? I'm not in debt, just want to start saving and don't know where to start.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 02 2007, 7:47 pm
didn't use a financial planner, but it's pretty easy to MAKE a budget. sticking to a budget is another story. also Bank of America has this thing, round up to the dollar on all your debit charges--say .75 becomes 1.00 and the extra .25 is deposited into your savings.

also, even putting $20 a month into savings, especially if you're newly married can add up. if you can do more, great.

Post Tue, Sep 04 2007, 2:27 pm
Financial planners will usually tell you where and how to invest your money. If you don't have much money now and are just starting to save I don't know if it's kdai. The ones that I know of charge quite a few hundred for a meeting.

shoshb

Post Tue, Sep 04 2007, 2:35 pm
You want to be careful of financial planners who are trying to sell you a product like insurance, mutual funds etc (Though you may need these, you don't want the broker giving you financial advice). Often, the most important financial moves are not the *sexiest*. You may be better off putting a few more dollars into your mortgage each month, than buying a highly speculative stock, for example. And retirement savings cannot be overrated.
So, I would go to the library, and find some independent books on the subject. IIRC, the "For Dummies" series has some good titles.

debsters1101

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 11:39 am
I am bumping this but need something different. We are looking for someone to sit down with us and help us budget. We are bleeding money and when we sit down to crack the numbers they just don't add up. Maybe we aren't being honest with ourselves but it always gets us at each others throats and we really need an impartial middle man or woman. I thought I read somewhere that the organization Mesila provides these types of services but the website isn't too helpful.
Tia!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics