Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Yair when you already have a Meir

amother

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 5:09 am
Or is that weird? what if the Meir is a middle name, does that make it less weird?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 5:18 am
Why should it be weird? Two names with the same shoresh?

granolamom

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 6:03 am
its fine.
love both names, btw.

June

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 6:21 am
it's fine, they're different names. (I think both are beautiful, btw)
just warning you, it could get confusing. my sister has two kids with extremely similar names, and they are a year apart, and I'm always calling one the other's name.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 6:57 am
My father's Hebrew name is Meir, although he mostly goes by his English name. My youngest brother's name is Yair. My parents really liked the name, but they did ask a shaila before the bris if they could name a son with a name very similar to the father's name. Obviously, they got the go-ahead.

They sound different enough that it shouldn't be so confusing.

Amother because of identifying details

Tamiri

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 8:13 am
I don't think that in a Hebrew-speaking family, those two names would go. But outside of Israel - why not?

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 10:46 am
It's a little too cutesy for me, but using it as a middle name that you don't actually use except on official documents eliminates the problem. I would use this kind of similar given name for first cousins close in age, especially where the fathers are brothers so they have the same surname, and even more so if they live near each other. That minimizes the confusion, competition and inevitable constant comparison of first cousins who are "almost like twins, they even have the same name".

But sibs? Naaah. I shudder at families with "theme" names, as in all starting with same initial, consecutve words from a passuk (Gilah, Rinah, Ditzah, Chedvah), consecutive children of a Biblical character (Reuven Shimon, Levi), daughters all named for flowers, and so on.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 10:54 am
I come from a family of twelve. I have brothers named eli, eliyahu, elisha, and sisters elisheva and eliana (they were all named for different grandparents/great grandparents) It always seemed weird to me because alll my friends had siblings with normal names but meir and yair seem different enougb to me.

flmommy

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 11:02 am
I love both names but when calling out to your kids I think it could be confusing and I personally would prefer it as a middle name. Best of luck in your decision.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 12:33 pm
totally fine. Dont even sound the same. I have a Yonatan & Netanel. Nobody confuses the 2 or makes comments

etky

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 1:09 pm
I don't think I would give these names to two brothers, unless they were specifically chosen to commemorate someone. They're just different tenses of the same verb and hence, IMO, too similar.
OTOH, if Meir is a middle name it's not that crucial.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 1:09 pm
I know someone with an Adina and Dina. Do whatever you feel is right and don't worry about everyone else.

spring13

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 2:52 pm
I really wouldn't use both as first names. If Meir is in the middle then it's fine - but only if you call him by his first name!

granolamom

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 4:17 pm
I had a friend whose brothers were gavriel, refael and uriel. the fathers name was michoel.
and why not. eventually kids grow up and, to some degree, separate from their family of origin. once adults, no one will associate Yair and Meir as two parts of a unit, he will be his own person with a beautiful name. think long term.

Shuly

Post Tue, Aug 06 2013, 2:50 pm
granolamom wrote:
I had a friend whose brothers were gavriel, refael and uriel. the fathers name was michoel.
and why not. eventually kids grow up and, to some degree, separate from their family of origin. once adults, no one will associate Yair and Meir as two parts of a unit, he will be his own person with a beautiful name. think long term.

I know them too! One daughter married a Michoel (same as her father) and the other daughter married a Nachliel.

granolamom

Post Tue, Aug 06 2013, 3:38 pm
Shuly wrote:
granolamom wrote:

I know them too! One daughter married a Michoel (same as her father) and the other daughter married a Nachliel.

I dont know that, cute!

amother

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 12:33 pm
OP here. We asked the Rav and he said not to. So no more Yair. Back to the drawing board for us. Any suggestions Smile

etky

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 2:10 pm
If light is a theme that appeals to you then how about Neriya?

miami85

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 2:22 pm
Different names are different names. I know a family with a yerucham and Ruchama. Shalom and shlomo. With my son his name is very similar to my husband's.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names