Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How do you think of Hashem?

Motek

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 11:04 am
Hashem is described as our Father, King, a Judge etc.

How do you think of Hashem?

Although I know that the sefarim say that Hashem loves each one of us as a parent of an only child, I can't say that I view Hashem in this way. I would say I think of Him mostly as Judge.

and you?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 11:06 am
A white knight on a really big horse - sounds crazy, but that's my vision of Him!

gryp

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 6:09 pm
Rolling Laughter
you know that story in Memoirs about the man who thought of Hashem as a big monster? (TzenaRena, where are you? Wink )
Rolling Laughter

I think of Hashem as all-powerful and always before me (I try). I try and relate my kids to Hashem in the same way. when my 3 year old asks me for something I dont have (and I'm not going to buy him anytime in the near future) like an ice cream cone, I tell him to ask Hashem. and he does. LOL LOL

bandcm

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 9:18 pm
I think of Him as all-encompassing - not really one fixed image at all.

By the way, when I was really little, I used to picture Moshiach as a really big, tall man riding down the street on an upright vacuum cleaner...

amother

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 9:31 pm
I think of Him as Manager Of The World! He's sitting and listening attentively to every request, He sits up there above the clouds.....His Being takes up the whole of the shomayim and He's present all over, at home, on the street, He'a aware of all that is happening, He's orchestrating it all.
I wish I could view Him as a loving mother, tho.

Tefila

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 9:43 pm
Good thread Very Happy

To me He is very complex. On one hand He is orchestrating the world on the other hand He does give us some free choice.

On one hand He split the sea for us into not one but twelve paths on the other hand He performs miracles now more clothed in nature.

We need open nissim so much now..... Please Hashem. Crying

Sofia2

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 10:21 pm
As a sort of 'spirit' like cloud that is constantly hovering over me. He is with me always because I want him to be. He is the One who truly understands me. Like a best friend, mentor...

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 10:31 am
I have to agree with all the definitions above. He is very complex for me too.

LookingForward

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 10:42 am
I also pretty much agree with (most of) the above, but one more addition:
There are times when I look back at a complete situation that just took place and think of how He literally played us as puppets. I picture the long strings from way up high moving our hands and feet in the way that He wants, and I think that it's pretty kewl because He knows what's best for us Smile

Basya

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 10:47 am
In my mind, I view him like a zaidy - old, sweet, kind....

shopaholic

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 11:24 am
Unfortunately I've seen to many non-Jewish movies that show G-d as a large man with long white beard & white robe, so for as long as I can remember, that's how I picture Hashem. Still, I think of Hasem as being all over the world & able to do anything & everything.

Nicole

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 12:22 pm
Quote:

Basya Posted: Fri, Jan 19 2007, 10:47 am Post subject: re: How do you think of Hashem?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my mind, I view him like a zaidy - old, sweet, kind....

Me too! Took the words outta my mouth!

HindaRochel

Post Sat, Jan 20 2007, 11:51 am
Friend. Confidant. One who is always ready to help.

greenfire

Post Sat, Jan 20 2007, 11:09 pm
LookingForward wrote:
I also pretty much agree with (most of) the above, but one more addition:
There are times when I look back at a complete situation that just took place and think of how He literally played us as puppets. I picture the long strings from way up high moving our hands and feet in the way that He wants, and I think that it's pretty kewl because He knows what's best for us Smile

I cannot believe that I always tell people that we are just Hashem's puppets - and I too imagine the strings - usually people say I'm crazy so thanks for being crazy too!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics