Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Chicken left on counter all night!

amother

Post Fri, Aug 23 2013, 6:46 am
My chicken finished cooking around 12:30 last night. I took it out and put it on top of the stove to cool. My pies finished around 1 am, and I turned off the oven. I figured I would still be wide awake to put the chicken away after it cooled, but I fell asleep! I woke up at 6:15 and realized the chicken was still out! It was out for 6 hours (although part of that it was still hot)! Is the chicken sill good? Should we eat it? Thanks!

June

Post Fri, Aug 23 2013, 6:57 am
it's fine, as long as it was fully cooked. I do it all the time.

mandr

Post Fri, Aug 23 2013, 10:41 am
Ugh, I would never eat it. The fact that some of it was warm is the worst problem you can have! That nice warm, dark, closed area is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria and toxins to multiply. It's worse than room temperature, even. The only kind of heat that's good is a high enough temperature that can actually kill germs, above 300 degrees or so.

doughnut

Post Fri, Aug 23 2013, 11:09 am
Totally fine. I do it all the time.

mandr

Post Fri, Aug 23 2013, 11:10 am
For the record, you don't get sick EVERY time you eat chicken treated this way. It's just sometimes. So if you did this 10 times and were fine, doesn't mean it's safe. You were just lucky 10 times, that's all.

doughnut

Post Fri, Aug 23 2013, 11:34 am
I've done it way more than 10 times. I'll thank God for my good luck Very Happy

oliveoil

Post Fri, Aug 23 2013, 1:13 pm
If it was on the counter, I would be quicker to say it might be fine.

But the stovetop has warmth from the pilots, so it's really the worst place to keep it. I wouldn't eat it.

offcentral

Post Fri, Aug 23 2013, 2:27 pm
I'm with most of the others - I would eat it. I've left meat in my crockpot an entire day after it cooked all night long (to cool it). I think I'd be more concerned if it had been left out that long uncooked.

shanie5

Post Fri, Aug 23 2013, 6:29 pm
oliveoil wrote:
If it was on the counter, I would be quicker to say it might be fine.

But the stovetop has warmth from the pilots, so it's really the worst place to keep it. I wouldn't eat it.

Most stoves have electric ignition, not pilots-so this may not be relevant.

I'd use the chicken.

amother

Post Sat, Aug 24 2013, 9:49 pm
my mother used to do this all the time. we never got sick. I have a gut of steel these days, nothing bothers my stomach. my mil would never have eaten the chicken and my dh has the most sensitive stomach. so maybe there's something to be said for 'drinking from the hudson' so to speak, but I make no guarantees : )

I would toss the chicken.

amother to protect my mother, who probably still leaves chicken out all night and serves it the next day.

mandr

Post Sat, Aug 24 2013, 10:39 pm
I don't get it. If someone does something dangerous multiple times and no harm befalls them, why does that make the behavior not dangerous. If a kid crosses the street all the time without looking out for oncoming traffic, and he never got run over by a car yet, will the mother encourage the kid to continue crossing like that?

etky

Post Sun, Aug 25 2013, 12:24 am
I would toss it. It might be OK but it's borderline and I wouldn't want to take the risk.
I also know people who cook Thursday night for Shabbat and let things cool overnight before placing them in the fridge on Friday morning. They say they've never had a problem but it goes against everything I've read about food safety, especially regarding poultry, fish and meat. I say better safe than sorry.

aussiemum#1

Post Sun, Aug 25 2013, 9:07 am
it was hot when you went to bed- so it should be fine- smell it if your worried
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen