Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Russian (?) translation

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 9:17 am
Is anyone able to read this?
http://data.jewishgen.org/View.....5.jpg
I would only need the dates & names if it is very hard to read.

toda!!

Batya

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 10:27 am
Oh my gosh it is written in a very old style Russian the one they used in the times of czar so it is very hard, besides that the hand writing is not so clear, but the first date on there is October8th 1881 I will bli neder try to give it another try

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 10:54 am
Oh thank you Batya!
The awful thing is that I have many of these certificates to translate, a horror. I have ordered them from Polish archives.
The certificate here is either my great grand father or his cousin, are the names of the parents written on it? It would tell me...

thank you again anyway!

sarahd

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 11:12 am
It doesn't look like a birth, marriage or death certificate; more like a business contract, but it's really hard to read. The name Israel Shmul Shiper (or something similar) appears in the upper left margin and the name Zalman Shiper in the body. Also the name Leizer (Tly?)asman.

And the date is 8 October 1881, 9:00 AM.

Last edited by sarahd on Mon, Jan 22 2007, 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Batya

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 11:12 am
Heres some names that I was able to to retrieve from there, oh and by the way you mentiond Poland so I think there is some Polish words mixed in there and that would make it a totally different story cause it is basically a different language. Any how here are the names:
Zalman Sheeter
Chaska Sarshneider
Layzer Glasman
Israel Shulevich(which means Israel son of Smuel)
If you have any more specific ???? Let me know I will be glad to help with what I can
Good Luck

sarahd

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 11:22 am
I changed my mind, maybe it is a birth certificate or something similar, because it mentions the ages of the two parents (21 and 19) and the date of birth, 30 September at 7:00 PM and that the child was named "according to religious custom", Israel Shmul Shiter. I also agree that the names are more like Shiter than Shiper. I forgot that prerevolutionary Russian had an "I" like the Latin one.

Helani

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 11:31 am
I will give it a try as well, as soon as the kids are down and I can concentrate a bit better.

anuta

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 5:51 pm
In addition to everything, the handwriting is not very clear.
But here is my best try:

"It happened in village UNCLEAR (Gnivoshevo?) on October 8 1881 at 9 am, came to me personally Zalman Shiper, a trader, 21 yr old, who has in village Granitza UNCLEAR in presence(?) of witness Chaim Sak(?)shnaidstr, student of 34 years old in village Granitza, and Lazer Glasman, a student of fourty six, who has in village Gnivoshevo (?) UNCLEAR, showed us a male infant, declaring that he was born in village Granitza on the thirtieth of September at 7 in the evening with his unlawful wife Rufki (?) Rultman(?) nineteen years of age; the infant at the religious ceremony was named Israel Shmul. This document was read to the declarer and the witnesses and signed by us, because the declarer and the witnesses declared that they are illiterate.

Keeper of the act of civil state, signature.

sarahd

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 1:28 am
Ruchel, in case you're worried, unlawful wife means that they were not married in a civil ceremony (probably because there were limits on marriages between Jews), not that they were unmarried.

binah918

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 1:59 am
What in interesting thread!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 4:05 am
Thank you to everyone!!!
So, apparently, it is the cousin, not the great granddad, since his parents were Mailech & Doba Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics