Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Serving hot food second night - how?
Previous  1  2

Fabulous

Post Thu, Aug 29 2013, 4:44 pm
shalhevet wrote:
I don't serve soup that night.

I put the food on the platta at the first possible minute, and put smallish quantities in shallow layers. Meanwhile there is maariv, and then kiddush, and then a first course. By which time the food is pretty hot.

I have more of a problem the morning of RH. Putting food on the platta before going to shul for around 6-8 hours is too long. And when we get back we eat. I usually look for a less lazy (and younger) volunteer to run back in the pre-shofar break (which is also for kiddush) and put the food on.

even then it's usually hours and hours. The break is around 12 and often the men don't come home till between 4-6.

ariellabella

Post Thu, Aug 29 2013, 5:48 pm
4-6PM?? Really? Wow.

For lunches, we are doing cold foods. Gazpacho, spinach frittata, falafel, pita, dips, etc. So much easier, and we couldn't possibly 2 heavy meals per day anyway.

Sanguine

Post Sat, Sep 07 2013, 4:40 pm
Vanilla wrote:
In the past, I've used tea lights spread out on a cookie sheet (not too many) in the oven. It works beautifully,although more slowly. Nothing burns! I wouldn't use this method for soup though.

This idea really saved me for friday night - I was so careful to set my plata (hot plate) to be on before Erev shabbat candle lighting so I made it go on 5 minutes before - I really hadn't thought about that I would want it on much earlier in order to get all the food warm for supper (I had a lot of food and knew it would all be stacked on the plata and the top never would have warmed)

This idea worked great and saved me!! an hour before candle lighting I put 8 tea light on a cookies sheet and then filled the oven with kugels, rice, chicken... lots of stuff (we were 18 for supper) - It all warmed up and then I moved it to the plata for Shabbat and everything was warm

Thanks for the idea
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics