Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Crockpot usage on 3 day Tom tov

Mel1983

Post Tue, Sep 03 2013, 11:04 pm
I need advise as to how to make cholent in an electric crockpot when there is a 2 day chag immediately followed by Shabbos? Someone told me that I can leave the crockpot on low with water inside on the first 2 nights and then on Friday morning just take it out and put in the cholent ingredients and it will start cooking. Has anyone ever done this?

flowerpower

Post Tue, Sep 03 2013, 11:10 pm
I leave the crockpot on low and put in my cholent( that I cooked on high erev yom tov) Friday afternoon. People say to use a Shabbos clock so its not on the whole three days but I am not good at the clock thing.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 03 2013, 11:15 pm
3 ways to do this:

1. leave the crockpot heating device on low - keep the crockpot insert separately and only put it in when ready to make cholent before Shabbos

2. leave the crockpot on low while keeping the insert in filled with water so insert does not crack from dry heat

3. place the crockpot on a Shabbos timer to go on and then turn off an hour later in the morning. after the crockpot goes off on Thursday morning, remove the off pin (you have a full day to remember to pull it out - can be pulled out any time Thursday once crockpot goes off for the day). then when the crockpot turns on Friday morning, it will stay on for the remainer of YT/Shabbos

sgr

Post Sat, Sep 07 2013, 1:16 pm
For those lucky enough to have maids/cleaning help,she can turn on the crockpot on YT as long as you put the food in.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Sep 07 2013, 2:30 pm
My crockpot was on low, on a timer. I made a shoulder roast before the chag, on low for 10 or so hours. I made a beef stew on the chag - placed the cold meat and marinade in the crock pot which was set to go on at 2 am. It was on low. The stew was soft and delicious when we ate it at around 1pm. . Afterwards, I roasted chicken parts in it also for about 10 hours on low. All was delicious and fully cooked.

Karnash

Post Sat, Sep 07 2013, 4:14 pm
Brilliant Tamiri! I have to remember that for the next 3 day chag!

momX4

Post Sat, Sep 07 2013, 10:35 pm
ra_mom wrote:
3 ways to do this:

1. leave the crockpot heating device on low - keep the crockpot insert separately and only put it in when ready to make cholent before Shabbos

2. leave the crockpot on low while keeping the insert in filled with water so insert does not crack from dry heat

3. place the crockpot on a Shabbos timer to go on and then turn off an hour later in the morning. after the crockpot goes off on Thursday morning, remove the off pin (you have a full day to remember to pull it out - can be pulled out any time Thursday once crockpot goes off for the day). then when the crockpot turns on Friday morning, it will stay on for the remainer of YT/Shabbos

Thank you. It worked out great for me.

busydev

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 12:15 am
we had 2 crockpots plugged in with the insert inside and no water. used them to warm things up instead of a plata and to make some foods too (cholent plus). we have always had a crockpot plugged in over yomim tovim and never put water into it... and never had a problem....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics