Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Possible kitchen remodel - anyone have an Ikea kitchen?

YoMom

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 8:46 pm
We may remodel our kitchen on a budget....any experience with Ikea? Installing ourselves is out of the question (four left hands, dh and I together). Did you hire a private designer, installer, contractor? How long do you have them? Do they hold up nicely? Do they look cheap? Any advice would be appreciated!

Boys"R"Us

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 8:52 pm
We did an Ikea kitchen about 7 months ago. So far, we have been very happy with it!
We hired an installer who helped us with the design/planning, and told us what to order.
We also had to hire a contracter to do the plumbing, electrical, removal of existing kitchen etc

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Debbie

Marion

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 9:42 pm
My SIL put in an IKEA kitchen when they bought...maybe 3 years ago? She seems happy with it.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 9:43 pm
Aside from the (somewhat limited) responses you will receive on this site, google ikea kitchen quality review blah blah blah (try different word combinations). You'll get LOADS of reviews online.

mommyofnineka

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 10:33 pm
Are you in Israel or the US? We put in an IKEA kitchen here in Israel. There were 2 issues. One is that a lot of the time, they might not have in all the pieces you need which means you constantly have to keep calling to see if the pieces came in and then going back to the store to get them. And no, you can't wait for them all to come in b/c then the 1st things that came in will all ready be gone and no, they won't hold them for you or deliver them without you coming in first. Quite inconvenient - it made my dh crazy.
The second thing is that we wanted the cheapest way out and used their formica counters which was a HUGE mistake. They were constantly being damaged due to water - normal water that goes on a kitchen counter like for cleaning.
The quality oof the kitchen itself was great and they did replace the counters 2x no problem and we were able to request only Jewish delivery men and cabinet installers and they were very professional.

cookielady

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 12:07 am
We did it and we love how it turned out. The savings was tremendous.

YoMom

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 9:46 pm
Thanks all. I think we are past Ikea for now because I did not like their cabinets in person, as I want a white kitchen. Theirs are thermofoil/laminate and very plasticky. Now that I've gotten some local estimates (happier to give the frum the business), I am deciding between white painted wood and thermofoil. I haven't gotten the wood estimate yet but there is one company that may be affordable. I know thermofoil can melt and warp, but the one I was quoted (Kemper) is a higher quality, American made, lifetime warranty - the guy said it will not melt. I know wood may look nicer but can chip and scratch. Help! Any advice?? I need this kitchen to last me a good 15+ years! Thanks!

lifeboat

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 7:16 am
Hi. I just came across your thread. I am a freelance kitchen designer/ dealer, doing this for more than a decade.... If you still need some advice you can pm me. ( Hope you didn't go with thermafoil ....)

JollyMommy

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 9:10 am
my parents did for their Pesach kitchen. It looks amazing! I would do it. Make sure to get someone to help plan the space and measure (we didn't when we remodeled our first kitchen and made a TON of mistakes)

thanks

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 11:21 am
I did an ikea kitchen a few months ago. It's very large, and I'm very happy with it. It has a 25yr warrantee, cant beat that! The person who installed it customized some cabinets, so I really got everything I wanted and more.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars