Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Baltimore Help Needed! RE:Medicaid,WIC,Food Stamps

amother

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 8:14 pm
Can some Baltimore(City) Imamother can help me here. I am looking for information on applying and being eligible for Medicaid, WIC and Foodstamps. When I got married I was working and not on these programs but now I have a baby and don't work(please don't comment on the wokring issue here.)

Can someone tell me exactly where to go to apply? Do you know about the asset limits--how do you deal with wedding money? Also, even if mom and babes qualify what about DH? I am concerned about just walking in with out an understanding of the process. Please be so kind to post any information you have. Is there any individual here who assists in process like in Brooklyn?

Tova

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 8:16 pm
amother wrote:
Can some Baltimore(City) Imamother can help me here. I am looking for information on applying and being eligible for Medicaid, WIC and Foodstamps. When I got married I was working and not on these programs but now I have a baby and don't work(please don't comment on the wokring issue here.)

Can someone tell me exactly where to go to apply? Do you know about the asset limits--how do you deal with wedding money? Also, even if mom and babes qualify what about DH? I am concerned about just walking in with out an understanding of the process. Please be so kind to post any information you have. Is there any individual here who assists in process like in Brooklyn?

I don't have personal experience with any of these programs (although income limitations should all be available online) but I know the Ozeret has all of the contact information and "best office to apply to" for these programs. Do you have the Ozeret?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 8:23 pm
not OP but also interested. How can I get this Ozeret?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 9:42 pm
there is no longer an asset limit, only an income limit. honesty is the most important - if you qualify, then fine. do not try to change any numbers or not include income like money from parents. write down your true bills - rent, electric, daycare/tuition, pay stubs, etc.

wic is easier to qualify for than food stamps - higher income limit. you need to requalify once a year, food stamps makes you recertify every 6 months. it is embarrassing to have wic. when you go to 7 mile, you will notice that the person behind you is waiting for you because each check is a separate receipt. sometimes you have to put something back and it could take awhile to get used to.

the closest food stamp location is 5818 reisterstown road. be prepared for a 2-3 hour wait and bring all paperwork with you. visit this website for more info http://dhr.state.md.us/blog/

the closest wic office is at jai medical center about 10 minutes down park heights. go on the wic website, call to make an appointment - say you want to go to the park heights location. then they will take a blood sample of you.

good luck

amother

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 5:22 am
orig, poster here.

Thank you so much for posting! I really need help , I am very new here and feel desperate.

Can you please explain to me "there is no longer an asset limit, only an income limit. honesty is the most important - if you qualify, then fine. do not try to change any numbers or not include income like money from parents. write down your true bills - rent, electric, daycare/tuition, pay stubs, etc."

What was this referring to Medicaid?

Now I also thought that you apply for everything in one place...please help me. Is there one local resource that can guide me?

little_mage

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 5:30 am
Someone recently mentioned to us that locally to us (not Baltimore) that Jewish Family and Children's Services has people who will walk you through the processes and work with you. It might be worth calling the local Baltimore office and asking.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 8:54 am
I'm pretty sure the locations to apply differ based on city vs county, so make sure you go to the right branch.

baskrox

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 9:10 am
Wic is a separate location. I think you need to go downtown for the first appointment and after that, you can pick up your checks every 3 months at a closer location (JAI on Park Heights).

Food Stamps and Medicaid are in the Social Services building at 5818 Reisterstown. You need to bring ALL proofs with you or you will be asked to come back and you'll have to wait all over again. Look online what you need to bring - recent proof of income - last months worth, Rent form from landlord or mortgage statement, birth certificates and I'm not sure what else, but look it up before you go. Income qualification is different for each program. baby qualifying for medicaid is higher income qualification, you and DH qualifying will need a lower income in order to qualify. Food stamps is harder to qualify for than baby's medicaid, too. There is a chart online.
ttps://www.marylandsail.org/MinimumRequirement.aspx?message=BNS&url=https://www.marylandsail.org/Screening/Default.aspx

prepare to spend the entire day there (if you go a half hour before they open and stand in line outside, you'll wait less, being one of the first people there.) good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics