Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Mikvah erev yom kippur

debsargie

Post Wed, Oct 05 2011, 6:07 pm
hi I was wondering where this custom comes from
that women dip before yom kippur and is it a chabad custom
and what does it entail
thank you

freidasima

Post Wed, Oct 05 2011, 6:41 pm
Many women from chassidish background go when they aren't nida anymore, or widows or divorced women who were married before. It's for purity before YK, symbolic purity. If it gives them a good feeling and puts them in the right mindset before YK why not?! It's so hard to get into that mindset when you have a family or other issues and are busy with gashmiyus until a minute before the fast. I know that with me I would go out of my mind, finsh finsh finish eating so that I could wash the dishes, dry them, drink again, run to brush teeth and wash face last time and then run to bench lecht.

Teshuva? Tefila? ha!
Zedoko...b"h they call up so I could give of my own money by phone and not only rely on dh, zaddik that he is...just this morning I saw checks he was sending out to each and every organization that approached us, frum, frei, as long as they weren't something we were against politically...I asked him, he said, we always need the zechuyos from it...

But back to topic. So anything one can do to be in the right mindset for YK as long as it doesn't hurt anyone or isn't against the din...goes fine with me.
Not that my opinion means anything (!) but still...

ckk

Post Wed, Oct 05 2011, 7:27 pm
It entails not being nidda, going to the mikva and quickly dipping. None of the regular prep is done and no brocha. Just in and out. And as freidasima said, its a nice minhag because what else do us women really get to do as a prep for yk....

shmaichul

Post Wed, Oct 05 2011, 9:02 pm
Im not 100% sure but I dont think it matters if ur a nidda theres no connection...

purelife

Post Wed, Oct 05 2011, 9:28 pm
IT IS NOT A CHABAD MINHAG , most lubavitchers do not go to the mikvah erev yom kipper.

I asked a rov about it who said ''do what your mother did'' so if she went go, if not you can still always go if you want.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 6:24 am
It's nothing to do with nidda. (I'm not sure technically what to do if you actually have a period, it never worked out like that for me.)

It's for teshuva and tahara (purity). and I've seen all kinds of women going (MO, chassidic, litvish, sephardi, JPF).

Cut your nails, shower and comb your hair, and that's it.

Check today when the mikva is open, because here it is usually early in the morning (everyone has lots to do tomorrow). I think they already close at 10 am.

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 8:53 am
First of all, there is a source for this.
In Kitzur Shulchan Oruch it says
"It is a mitzvah for every person to Toivel to purify themselves from 'Tumas Keri' therefore also boys & girls (over bar/bas mitzvah) toivel.
Some are careful that there should not be a Chatzitza.
The main time to Tovel is after Chatzos of Erev yom kipur day."

Then it goes into the details for a woman within 3 days of having been intimate [which you could look up yourself because this is a public forum ].

According to my Kallah teacher, this was abolished in recent years for unmarried girls because they confused this Tevilah for purity with Tevilah from being Nidah.
Find out your family's/community's minhag or ask your Local Orthodox Rabbi.

momatwork

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 11:27 am
what happens if you have your period?

Lady Bug

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 12:43 pm
momatwork wrote:
what happens if you have your period?

You obviously can't go.

ckk

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 1:48 pm
Actually I was told told by my rov not to go when I was nidda so its worth finding out what you should do if you are a nidda.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 2:14 pm
I was told niddah is fine as long as there is no more bleeding. It's a holy pre yom kippur minhug-a lot of non-chasidishe people also go.

puppy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 2:33 pm
as far as I know its like this:
if your still bleeding you cant go, if you are in shiva nekiyem you cant go cause your not allowed to take baths = so automatically you cant go when nidda!
but its a great mitzvah to go before the holy day!!

happywife

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 3:29 pm
It's a way of purification as someone mentioned. There are also a lot of people who go sometime in their ninth month of pregnancy.

mommyhood

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 3:41 pm
puppy wrote:
if your still bleeding you cant go, if you are in shiva nekiyem you cant go cause your not allowed to take baths = so automatically you cant go when nidda!

I never heard that you can't take a bath during 7 nikiyim, only that you can't bathe/shower/clean before the bedikah. So you would be allowed to bathe after a bedikah a while before your next one.

shanie5

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 7:05 pm
mommyhood wrote:
puppy wrote:

I never heard that you can't take a bath during 7 nikiyim, only that you can't bathe/shower/clean before the bedikah. So you would be allowed to bathe after a bedikah a while before your next one.

And I was told a shower before a bedika is ok. Never heard of no baths during shiva nekiem.

Many women here go on erev yom kippur. They are yeshivish, lubavitch, (we dont have other chassidim, so can't say there), your average jpf (just plain frum).

mamilou

Post Thu, Sep 12 2013, 8:22 am
hi there,

it is no minhag, it says in the kitzur that men, wemen and children should go to mikwah on erev yom kippur.
mikwah is metaher not only a nida, mikwah is metaher et hatmeim. of course mikwah is not metaher tumas mes, what the Torah says how one get be metaher from that, but all the rest mikwah does

amother

Post Thu, Sep 12 2013, 9:30 am
Both my parents are from long time lubavitch families and we women go to te mikvah erev Yom Kippur. The mikvah a in crown heights are open.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur