Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Chol hamoed idea NJ/NY low key?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 18 2013, 2:52 pm
Anyone have an idea to do Sunday that won't be mobbed? We will be in Lakewood for the first days and live in NY, so anything near either end or on the way or not too far out of on-the-way would be perfect. Of course those are the most populated places but what can you do. We have a 3-year-old and a stroller-baby with a pair of adults. We like zoos, farms, and such. Historic interest, nature, whatever. Flexible. Not too expensive.

Will check back in after yomtov, hoping for some ideas! TIA!

alef12

Post Wed, Sep 18 2013, 5:30 pm
I want to know too. :-) we love farms, nature and historic places too!

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Sep 18 2013, 5:58 pm
old bethpage, richmond town. oops, now they'll be crowded...

amother

Post Sat, Sep 21 2013, 9:02 pm
Can you tell me more about Bethpage and Richmond Town? What's there? Any interest for a 3-year-old?

Has anyone been to Turtleback Zoo and can tell me if it's roomy enough to handle chol hamoed? I've heard it's a nice zoo but last time I went to a smallish zoo on a popular day it was a disaster. The wait to see each exhibit would put an amusement park line to shame, and then the animals were all hiding from the mobs. OTOH, some zoos can handle crowds better. Never been to Turtleback before so I have no way of predicting...

Reality

Post Sat, Sep 21 2013, 9:06 pm
Richmond Town: A three year old will have no interest. An adult who likes old fashioned villages etc.. will like it but be aware that whenever I have gone there most of there houses have been closed.

Never been to the other places you mentioned. Most places are very crowded on chol hamoed.

amother

Post Sat, Sep 21 2013, 10:11 pm
Staten island zoo, Staten island ferry, chealsea playground in Staten island, turtle back zoo in Livingston, nj. all are very nice.

sunlight

Post Sat, Sep 21 2013, 10:58 pm
Wherever you decide to go, keep in mind that its a rainy day tomorrow!

rosenbal

Post Sat, Sep 21 2013, 11:28 pm
New Jersey Children's Museaum in Paramus. http://www.njcm.com/
Great for Rainy Days and for 3 year olds. Very chilled but of I don't know how crowded this gets chol hamoed...I can imagine that if it's crowded it will be a lot less fun. It's a really fun hands on museum. One of my favorite for little kids. (I don't even live in NJ.)

mom2be1

Post Sun, Sep 22 2013, 7:57 am
There's a farm near Lakewood called Atlantic farms small homeade type of petting zoo you can walk around with the stroller and the 3 yr old can feed the animals.

smilingmom

Post Sun, Sep 22 2013, 8:04 am
Book fair, borough hall brooyn today. Lots of activities or kids and adults

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Sep 22 2013, 8:47 am
I just looked at the book fair website. It definitely looks interesting, though not so much on a 3 year old level. If your kid likes Amelia Bedelia and Donald Crews's Freight Train, then those might be worth going for.

Also note that some of the adult program takes place in a church.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Sep 22 2013, 9:38 am
Governor's Island is a great free trip. Free art projects from 11-3. Tons to do besides that, and the free ferry ride is fun too.

smilingmom

Post Sun, Sep 22 2013, 8:08 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
Governor's Island is a great free trip. Free art projects from 11-3. Tons to do besides that, and the free ferry ride is fun too.

Fantastic place but it's only open memorial say through Labor day.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Sep 22 2013, 8:26 pm
According to the Governor's Island website, they are open until September 29.

Today we went to Fort Lee Historic Park, which was amazing. It is beautiful (right on the Hudson River), has a great playground, picnic areas, hiking trails... I recommend it for all ages.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 22 2013, 10:30 pm
Thanks for the ideas! We did Turtleback Zoo after all and had a pretty nice time but way too much traffic getting home. It was crowded but handled the crowd well, no problems getting to the exhibits and the stroller traffic was present but not overpowering.

Maybe next time we'll try Fort Lee or a children's museum!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics