Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Shabbos groups for kids

amother

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 8:19 pm
Does your community have kids' groups on Shabbos morning in shul? Please share how they are organized in terms of activities, snacks, timing, kids' ages. Are they run by adult teachers or teenage counselors, paid or on volunteer basis?

Any information would be appreciated as I'm working on starting groups in my community. TIA

amother

Post Wed, Sep 11 2013, 10:40 am
OP here,

Does anyone have shabbos groups???

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Sep 11 2013, 1:36 pm
OP you are welcome to PM me.

I have worked in a couple of different shuls and helped with youth programming, but I don't feel a public board is the place for all the details, especially when many things weren't my ideas.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Sep 21 2013, 7:55 pm
I think *MOST* mainstream synagogues I know run children's service of various formats. It's usually segmented by ages: toddler groups (18month-3yr old), younger children (4-6yr old), and older children divided by how many children of similar age group they have. In most cases, they're run by parent volunteers on rota, sometimes teenagers as a part of community service awards they're trying to get credits, pretty much all unpaid. Older children's activities (say 6yr old and up to teenagers) can be run by Bnei Akiva madrichim.

For the youngest group, the duration is really no more than 30min. Usually in a circle format, with child(ren) accompanied with their parent. There're standard sing-along songs (feel free to PM me if you want a copy), followed by a story or two, and nosh/drink. Usually quite late, like 10:45 or 11am start, (or basically to keep the young children out during the rabbi's sermon).

For older children, age-appropriate berachot and tefillot, and again age-appropriate parsha games or parsha discussions. Sometimes group games (Chinese whispers, Yummy/Yuck, Simon says, charade). Can be 30-45min, also followed by "kiddie Kiddush" (where children are encouraged to take turns making Kiddush).

The US (United Synagogue)'s junior group called Tribe has resource sheets for each shabbatot. They have age-appropriate discussions/games etc, which are very useful.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 22 2013, 5:20 am
my shul pays a teenager to run the older kids children service in our shul. Shes a sweet girl but doesn't do much with them except play board games. I run the toddlers (up to 6 years old) and we sing a few tefillos - modeh ani, torah, shema etc. we have stuffed torah to hold which the kids love. then we do a puppet show about the parsha/chag and play a game. And sing songs. (alas I am not so musical so I don't have a great repertoire but that is always good with kids)If I am organised I print out an appropriate game from here

http://www.parshaplay.com/main.html

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 22 2013, 11:37 am
the many shuls around do absolutely nothing except handing candies
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note