Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Help Riddles brainy - Can u solve?

red sea

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 2:13 pm
Here are 4 riddles that I can't seem to solve the why/how. Can you and can you explain the answer?

1) If 2 men start at a point and travel 2km each in opposite directions and then turn right and travel 1.5km each, then the distance between them is ______?

a) 7km
b) 6 km
c) 5 km
d) 5.5km

______________________________________________________________________________________

2) Find the missing number;

1-8-27-___-125-216

a)46
b)64
c)63
d)36

______________________________________________________________________________________

3) If each person in a group shakes hands with other 6 persons then how many handshakes total?

a) 21
b) 42
c) 12
d) 6

4) I am male. If Alberts son is my sons father, what is the relationship between Albert and I?
He is my

a) brother
b)uncle
c)father
d)sister

And then this one - what is the easiest way to figure it out?

5) The day before the day before yesterday is 3 days after Saturday. What day is it today?

a)Tues
b) Wed
c) Thurs
d)Fri

self-actualization

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 2:49 pm
1. (c) 5 - draw a dot in the middle of a page, and then two lines walking away from each other with 2 under each line. Have the line on the right go down and label the down line 1.5. Have the line on the left go up and label that line 1.5. Make triangles and use the Pythagorean theorem to find the two triangle hypotenuses (hypotenei?) which are 2.5 each. Then add those together and you will see that the two men are 5 km apart.

2. (b) 64 - the pattern is each number to the third power. So 1 to the third power is 1, 2 to the third power is 8, 3 to the third power is 27, and 4 to the third power is 64. 5 to the third power is 125 ...

3. (a) 21 - The first guy shakes hands with 6 people, but the second one only has 5 unique handshakes (because he already shook hands with the first guy). The third guy has 4 unique handshakes. So the equation comes out to 6+5+4+3+2+1 which equals 21.

4. (c) father - I = Albert's son, so Albert is my father.

5. (d) Friday - Start with 3 days after Saturday (which is Tues). That's "the day before the day before yesterday." Which day will take you back three days to get to Tues? Must be Friday.

Let me know if anyone disagrees Smile

mfb

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 2:53 pm
thanks for the riddles
do you have the answers so that I can verify what I think the answers are?

sarahd

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 3:01 pm
Look at self's answers. They look quite correct to me.

mfb

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 3:04 pm
thanks I must have been posting while she answered

red sea

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 3:07 pm
Thanks self, yes those are the answers, I couldn't recall which math to use for the travel and handshake ones. I didn't think of powers for that missing # one.

But I still get a headache from the days of the week one though I did figure it out.

And Albert drove me crazy, I needed his family tree to understand Smile

greenfire

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 3:22 pm
I'm trying not to look ... but I can't figure out b ... forget a cause I don't know km [poor excuse I know]

ah - I'll be back [maybe]

Soul on fire

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 7:40 pm
hey, that was a trick, those aren't riddles they are math, word problems. Twisted Evil
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics