Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
New recipes for gefilte fish

newcomer

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 5:10 am
getting a little tired of boiling a gefilte fish loaf - any recipes how to make it differently?
maybe with a sauce?
thanks.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 8:28 am
I make a baked gefilte fish with tomato sauce that always goes over well.

Defrost fish. Pour a small amount of tomato sauce in the bottom of a pan (16 oz can is plenty for 1 loaf). Put the fish on top. Chop some veggies (I usually use onion, zucchini, and mushrooms, but almost anything works) and sprinkle them around the fish. Pour the rest of the tomato sauce on top. Sprinkle on some spices (I use salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder). Pour a little dry white wine over (around 1/4 cup). Bake at 350 for an hour covered, then uncover and keep baking for another half hour.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 9:38 pm
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/509323

This for starters. It's what I found when I looked up gefilte fish doctor. I was really hoping to find something called The Gefilte Fish Doctor (and I do want royalties, anyone who runs with this!) but instead found gefilte fish doctored. Mostly farred or canned from the first page but maybe there's more.

happytohelp

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 10:55 pm
make ure gefilte fish however u normaly do it (I bake it in a loaf pan in the paper wrapper it comes in with water half way up the gefilte fish with some sugar on and around fish, covered for 2-4 hours till I see the wrapper start to get brown on top- makes a firmer fish rather than the boiling version)

saute 1 onion, 1 carrot diced, and 1 clove garlic chopped
add 1 can tomato sauce and 3 T. sugar
let boil for about 15 min. mixing sometimes so nothing burns.

then take off paper wrapping of ure finished loaf and pour sauce on.
reheat in oven (covered) or however before serving so sace sits with fish a bit

its really really good, enjoy!

or u could semi defrost ure fish loaf and saute onion, 2 cans tomato sauce, and 2 cans water with some sugar to taste (u could add other vegies too)
then make balls out of ure semi defrosted fish (if too mushy its hard to make balls, u might have to wet ure hands) and dump them into ure sauce and cover for about 1 hr.
yummy gefilte fish balls!

also, u could take off the paper wrapping the gefilte fish comes with and put it in a loaf pan and sprinkle on loaf (all over) alittle sugar and bake it uncovered till u see it got brown on outside- it makes ure fish look really fancy when u cut it because u have a brown sort of crust (it doesnt harden dont worry) on the outside.

enjoy! theyre all really good!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics