Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
ISO: Canned salmon with vegetables in a mini pie shell

vet techy

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 1:20 am
There was a recipe I think succos time for canned salmon in a mini pie shell from either Binah, Family First, Hamodia, or Yated or The Jewish press. Cant remember where I saw it but it looked very good. Anyone have it and if so could you post.
TIA

mandksima

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 1:39 am
I don't have that recipe but I have used this often with such great results and you could add some veggies to the mix as well.

salmon/tuna quiche

michal817

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 2:50 pm
Pecan-Crusted Salmon Tarts

12 frozen mini pie shells
1/4 c chopped pecans
8oz chopped frozen spinach, defrosted
8oz frozen cauliflower florets
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 T oil
1 T mayo
1 tsp salt
1 7.5oz can salmon, drained
1/4 c chopped dill pickles
1 small onion, chopped
3 T mayo
1 T lemon juice
1/4 t dried dill
12 pecans, for garnish

Saute garlic in oil until golden brown. Add spinach and saute for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, place cauliflower in small saucepan with 1 c water and salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Mash cauliflower, then mix with the sauteed spinach and add the mayo.
Slightly defrost the pie shells. Remove them from their tins and gently press the chopped pecan pieces into the pie shells. Return the shells to their tins.
In a large bowl, combine the salmon, pickles, onion, mayo, lemon juice and dill. Spoon 1 T of spinach-cauliflower mixture into each shell. Place 1 T of the salmon mixture on top. Top with a whole pecan and bake at 400 for 20 minutes, until the crusts are golden brown.

Is this what you're looking for? I left out the pecans because I don't really like nuts, and I made slightly more of the mixtures and put more into each pie shell. I also made a mushroom sauce to pour over it, which I think was a great addition.

vet techy

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 3:35 pm
michal817 THANK YOU so much I really wanted to make this for shabbos and I have no idea where it went (Probably my kids threw it out bec. they dont like canned salmon). Was it good? I would leave out pecans also bec. I dont like them.

mandksima thank you for the link I am going to save it and make it another time. It looks good also.

michal817

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 3:47 pm
Yes, it was good. I think next time I might try sautéing the onions first, because they were a little too crunchy for my taste. And I might also try mixing all the ingredients together instead of layering them (not sure it'll make a difference, but I'd like to try it out).
I'm sure you could use tuna instead, if your kids prefer it to canned salmon.

Glad I could help, and enjoy!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics