Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How do you use fresh garlic cloves?
Previous  1  2

mirror

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 4:43 pm
I learned this trick from someone.

Buy a whole bag of peeled fresh garlic from the refrigerated section at Costco.

Put in freezer and take out as needed. Lasts a few months. No peeling needed.

sunset

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 4:45 pm
Wash it right away, I would recommend.
I wouldn't save fresh crushed garlic, then it's not so fresh for the next time. But whole cloves can sit in your fridge for many weeks.
Garlic is amazing, I use it in everything! Fresh, sauteed, or just cooked. Good luck!
For easy peeling, (the peel can stick to the clove) first squeeze the clove, that loosens the peel, then cut the tips, and the peel comes right off.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 4:51 pm
OPINIONATED wrote:

great idea! does it come with a hechsher?

Happy18

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 5:28 pm
This is pretty much how I prepare fresh garlic.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/vid......html

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 5:55 pm
amother wrote:
OPINIONATED wrote:

great idea! does it come with a hechsher?

I've bought one like that at Sam's Club with a Star-K.

spring13

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 8:53 pm
Get one of these, it's more fun than a press and easier to clean!
http://www.williams-sonoma.com.....EARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Feature_Recipe_Rule-_-

There's no limit to how you can use fresh garlic. Different recipes will call for different preparations.

centurion

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 9:39 pm
I like the wheel thing but I don't think it's easier to clean. I use a garlic press, which I clean out with a toothpick. when I'm chopping other vegetables, I just do it by hand. bang the garlic clove with the side of a chef's knife (or any heavy object) and the skin peels right off.

Frumdoc

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 8:23 am
I have the wheel garlic chopper, but honestly, after using it once ot twice I gave up, it was hard to get all the tiny bits out, so I wasted half the clove each time and then was completely impossible to clean.

My cheap garlic press isn't much better, so usually I use a knife and crush it or finely chop it, or just chuck whole cloves into a soup or stir fry if I'm really lazy!

I do think the frozen cubes are almost as good as fresh, though, so I guess my taste is not so refined as those of you who can really tell the difference.

Heyaaa

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 11:01 am
The frozen cubes have lemon juice in them

phillymom

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 1:28 pm
While living in Israel is used real cuz I don't think they had frozen at the time. Living in the US now, I'm usually get the frozen kind. It's just so much easier....
I have neighbors who are scandalized and can't imagine using anything other than the fresh stuff. But I'm fine with frozen and my food tastes delicious both ways Smile

aleza

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 1:43 pm
Everything you wanted to know about garlic but were afraid to ask:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEjeHcujtnU

frosting

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 3:25 pm
Mince tonz of garlic at a time and then put in container, pour over olive oil and store in fridge.
This last quite awhile and the best part is you have garlic flavored oil for some things and minced garlic for others!
(alos then not a halacha problem of garlic left cut overnight...)

Grandma 1

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 11:03 pm
Warning: There is an issue that eating raw garlic stored in oil, can cause botulism. I don't know the details, but please check it out before attempting to do this!

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 11:55 pm
For the best flavor (and I'm sure for the best nutritional value as well) only use freshly peeled garlic. Those frozen/refrigerated ones are not half as potent and flavorful as a fresh garlic clove. It takes 2 seconds to peel a clove! Now don't get me started on the chopped frozen cubes...

I add garlic into almost every dish that's not a dessert. On Fridays or before holidays when I do a lot of cooking I throw a whole head or two into the food processor and take garlic as I need. Whatever dish is made last (and can handle lots of garlic) gets all the garlic that's left. On a regular cooking day I use the garlic press.

For those of you who have a hard time with the press due to garlic getting stuck in it, just pull the stuck garlic out and press it through again. Do that a couple of times and it should all be crushed.

Raisin

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 6:56 am
the lidl near me sells these 1 clove garlic heads. No little cloves to peel! Only thing is they don't fit in my garlic press, so I usually roast them whole with my chicken friday night.

Looks like this: https://www.google.ie/url?sa=I.....47593

golandiver

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 12:32 pm

Good for you! Fresh garlic is delicious and very healthy. If you want to infuse garlic in oil, you might want to look at this page on wikipedia - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic - and scroll down to Storage. Garlic infused oil can harbor botulism. But you can store it in wine or vinegar.

When you smash a garlic clove with the back of a knife like some posters suggested, it activates all the healthy things in garlic. Then you can cut it to the size you like or put it through a press.

My daughter taught me to cut off the very tops of the cloves still connected to the bulb. Remove some, but not all of the papery covering. You place the bulb in a square of foil and pour oilve oil and zaatar on top and close the foil.. Then bake it with your chicken or pashtida or whatever you make on Friday. It's delicious hot or cold. We put it on the hot plate for Shabbat.

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 8:26 am
In our house garlic is our antibiotic. Whenever someone starts to come down with a cold, cough or whatever, we chop up garlic cloves or crush in the crusher and swallow the stuff with water. Tastes gross but often stops the cold DEAD in its tracks. There ain't nothing like fresh garlic.

BTW I remember reading that after 5 minutes of being crushed, garlic loses its health benefits. Don't know if it's true or not.

Frumfemme

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 8:17 pm
Zeiliess makes an awesome garlic press. Put the whole clove in and crush. Easy to clean and no garlic smell on my fingers. I tried many other brands, but they broke. This one I have had for 12 years. I use one clove to one tsp of garlic powder. Adjust for your own taste.

frosting

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 5:57 am
Grandma 1 wrote:
Warning: There is an issue that eating raw garlic stored in oil, can cause botulism. I don't know the details, but please check it out before attempting to do this!

wow! thanks! That is really scary!!
Apparently it is not a problem if used within a week or if there is acid added as a preservative.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen