Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Pizza base! Eat or toss?

invisiblecircus

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 12:22 pm
We had friends over for pizza Yesterday evening and of course, for the first time ever, my pizza base dough didn't rise. (It was made in a breadmaker which mixes and rises.)

So, I had to quickly rustle up something else but by the time the guests had gone home, the dough had risen nicely! By this time it was too late to cook it that evening so I covered it and put in in the fridge. It has now been there 24 hours.

Do you think it owuld be OK to use or should I toss it?

greenfire

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 12:27 pm
I would use it ... quite often I leave dough in the fridge for others to use as they wish

p.s. check your yeast for freshness ... this can create problems in rising

invisiblecircus

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 12:50 pm
Yeah I'm sure it's the yeast.

I use dried yeast and once open it is usually good for a month or so. I opened this 2-3 weeks ago so wouldn't have expected it to not be OK, but anyway, I guess it was that. It did rise very well in the end though!

How long do you leave yours in the fridge and how do you use it from the fridge? I'm wondering if it would rise again if I use it straight from the fridge then put it in the oven.

Well, I?m going to give it a go anyway as I have nothing else ready for supepr tonight! Mr. Green

little_mage

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 4:55 pm
I almost always put my dough in the fridge because it makes the rising process slower and makes the dough come out tasty. While it's a little late now, just pull it out a couple of hours before and allow it to warm up before using just like you normally would.

rachel6543

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 11:53 pm
Pizza dough lasts a few days in the frig, it's fine to use. You can also freeze the dough for future use, I do that all the time with extra pizza dough.

Also, if you don't want to use this dough for pizza you can make a flat bread with it and cook on the stove. Heat a little olive oil in a pan. Roll dough into thin pieces and cook in pan. Yummy with some hummus. A nice side with a meat or fish meal.

etky

Post Tue, Oct 15 2013, 1:46 am
little_mage wrote:
I almost always put my dough in the fridge because it makes the rising process slower and makes the dough come out tasty. While it's a little late now, just pull it out a couple of hours before and allow it to warm up before using just like you normally would.

This. A slow rise, which is what happens in the fridge due to the lower temperature, allows the flavor to develop.

invisiblecircus

Post Tue, Oct 15 2013, 8:22 am
Thanks all. We ate it... and survived! Mr. Green

I'd never thought about preparing in advance and leaving it in the fridge before. I'll bear that in mind next time I'm catering for a larger crowd!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads