Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Joy of Kosher- Jamie Geller's new cookbook
Previous  1  2

gold21

Post Sat, Oct 19 2013, 9:09 pm
September June, now I'm motivated to try some of these recipes so I can report back to you. :-)
I dunno, I'm not sure how many of these recipes are "my type"? Maybe the chicken sushi!

wispalover

Post Sat, Oct 19 2013, 11:33 pm
imamiri wrote:
oliveoil wrote:
I'm not a fan of her cookbooks.

I don't consider her recipes to be recipes.

They all read, "a bottle of this sauce, a packet of frozen xyz, a can of abc," voila - recipe.

Is the use of prepared or pre-packaged foods common in kosher cookbooks? I bought Fresh & Easy Kosher Cooking and shelved it the minute I came across, "Save some pasta for the kids and put ketchup on it for them!". It was in a recipe for a lemon cream sauce for pasta.

Jamie Geller's second cookbook, as September said, is an advertisement book. Everything specifies a brand, and it is so annoying. The recipes are poor and it is obvious the entire book was just one big sponsorfest.

oliveoil

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 8:25 am
wispalover wrote:
imamiri wrote:
oliveoil wrote:

They all read, "a bottle of this sauce, a packet of frozen xyz, a can of abc," voila - recipe.

Is the use of prepared or pre-packaged foods common in kosher cookbooks? I bought Fresh & Easy Kosher Cooking and shelved it the minute I came across, "Save some pasta for the kids and put ketchup on it for them!". It was in a recipe for a lemon cream sauce for pasta.

Jamie Geller's second cookbook, as September said, is an advertisement book. Everything specifies a brand, and it is so annoying. The recipes are poor and it is obvious the entire book was just one big sponsorfest.

The sponsorship stuff is out of control. Have you seen her latest recipes? throw mike & ikes in just about anything and claim it's delicious, all because they are sponsoring...

a1mom

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 9:30 am
While I agree that Jamie's stuff heavily features sponsorships, I don't think we should be bashing her for making her parnossah in a legitimate fashion using sponsorships, she never claims that she doesn't have sponsors....there are plenty of other websites and cookbooks that avoid branding and pushing brand specific items- feel free to use those, I see Jamie as a Rachel Ray kind of persona- no big chiddushim in the flavor profiles, just providing wide exposure to somewhat elevated basic cooking and encouraging people who wouldn't even try cooking to give it a shot. she never claims to be a real chef, just a working mom trying to feed her family... she is a savvy business women and doesn't compel anyone to buy her stuff, if you don't like it, don't but it, but there really isn't the need to bash her.. FYI I'm in no way related or affiliated with her and don't even particulary like her recipes, just admire her business savvy.

sequoia

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 9:33 am
Her recipes are unhealthy junk, and she's boring and bland.

I like Reyna Simnegar. She's gorgeous and her recipes are interesting.

mille

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 2:49 pm
imamiri wrote:
oliveoil wrote:

I just remember how it seemed like EVERY RECIPE in Fresh & Easy called for onion soup mix or osem chicken consomme powder... Nothing 'fresh' about that.

wispalover

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 10:14 pm
a1mom wrote:
While I agree that Jamie's stuff heavily features sponsorships, I don't think we should be bashing her for making her parnossah in a legitimate fashion using sponsorships, she never claims that she doesn't have sponsors....there are plenty of other websites and cookbooks that avoid branding and pushing brand specific items- feel free to use those, I see Jamie as a Rachel Ray kind of persona- no big chiddushim in the flavor profiles, just providing wide exposure to somewhat elevated basic cooking and encouraging people who wouldn't even try cooking to give it a shot. she never claims to be a real chef, just a working mom trying to feed her family... she is a savvy business women and doesn't compel anyone to buy her stuff, if you don't like it, don't but it, but there really isn't the need to bash her.. FYI I'm in no way related or affiliated with her and don't even particulary like her recipes, just admire her business savvy.

I do not have a problem with her making parnasah. I do have a problem with paying A LOT of money for her books and it reading like a cheap weekly magazine because of the sheer amount of advertisements. I want recipes, not recommended sponsors.

sheindl

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 11:47 am
I was not going to buy this cookbook for the same reasons you are all talking about- for fear that it is one big sponsorship fest like her past cookbooks, and that a great number of recipes call for pre-made sauces and specific products.

HOWEVER, my mother bought me this new book and I was pleasantly surprised- most recipes use basic, fresh ingredients that do not require specific purchases, and that you are likely to have at home.
Aside from the often mentioned Manischewitz broth packages, which can be easily subbed by whatever broth you have at home, there are barely any other product references, and I am actually exited to try many of the recipes. In fact, she gives you different variations for each recipe, and it helps if you don't have one of the ingredients listed etc. You have to check this one out!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics