Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Vegetables left whole or cut?

paprika

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 3:08 pm
For chicken soup, does it add a stronger flavor to the soup if I peel the carrots and cut them into pieces, or it's just as good if I put them into the pot whole?

freidasima

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 3:11 pm
I think it tastes better cut, the thinner cut, the more surface, the more surface the more taste leaks out of the vegetable into the soup. Especially carrots with their sweetness.

mha3484

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 3:17 pm
I usually do large chunks. A carrot is cut into 3 or 4 pieces and onion in quarters etc. I find that the soup has a good flavor while making it easy to not serve veggies to someone who doesn't want.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 7:52 pm
What fs said, and for the reasons she said.
Also, if time is an issue, smaller pieces cook faster.
Plus, it's a pain to cut up a great big chunk of carrot or whatever when it's in your soup bowl. Do everyone a favor and cut the veggies small before you cook 'em.

bubbebia

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 10:24 pm
For chicken soup I cut my carrots in half, keep my onions whole, depends on the size of the parsnip as to how I cut it and I leave my garlic clove whole. I also use whole peppercorns. That was the way my grandmother made it and I keep that tradition going. Besides, for me it's much more satisfying to have this massive chunk of something rather than little pieces of things in my chicken soup. For veggie soup I cut things into smaller pieces.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics