Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Frozen Fish

mc

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 10:20 am
Usually, if we're having fish, we use frozen salmon. I was wondering how sole, tilapia, or flounder compare. Any incite? Thanks.

Happy18

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 11:00 am
Those types of fish have a very different taste and texture than salmon. Most white fish take on the flavor of the seasonings you add to them.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 11:04 am
If you defrost the fish all the way, season it well, and cook it properly, then any type of fish should be fine. Have you ever tasted any of those types of fish when they were fresh?

mc

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 11:20 am
Nope, I haven't tasted any of those fresh;, at least not reccently enough to remember:)
Is there any of those that'd you suggest I try first? My kids will eat salmon, just looking for different (and cheaper) frozen options..

yo'ma

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 12:02 pm
I personally like those fish more than salmon. To me it's not as strong.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 2:21 pm
Try a flavorful tilapia recipe.
As rutabaga said, as long as it's fully defrosted it will cook beautifully.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....lapia

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 3:59 pm
Personally I'm not a fan of frozen fish (you lose too much liquid during defrosting, it's very hard to know how fresh the original fish is). Having said that, all the white fish you mentioned is suitable for either breading and frying (make your own fish fingers), pan-frying (try adding some garlic or chopped herbs, tarragon is wonderful), or baking (take care they don't dry out). If too thin (often the case with flounder), roll up or fold in half or possibly put some stuffing. Also white fish is less forgiving on overcooking--just cook till it flakes.

Flavourwise, they would go nicely with tomato, white wine or curry sauce. You can just pour some store bought matbucha and bake, or put tahini (pref with some chopped garlic, parsley and/or a bit of chili on the top) and bake.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics