Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Please Help Me Make A Healthy Bar With These Ingredients!

OutATowner

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 8:42 pm
Here's the challenge!
I would love to make some sort of healthy energy bar. I do not want to use butter, margarine, or oil. I would like to use sugar free maple syrup instead of honey (at least until I buy more honey).

This is what I have, I do not need to use all:
Mixed nuts (I can chop/toast, etc)
Oats
Muesli
Grape Nut Flakes cereal
Plain protein powder
ripe bananas
sugar free maple syrup
splenda brown sugar blend
stevia in the raw

I have peanut butter, but it's not reduced fat/sugar, so I would only want to use a little.
How do I put this all together to make a palatable bar?
TIA!!

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 9:10 pm
ok, I assume you mean real maple syrup, not maple-flavored pancake syrup sans sugar?

you can use bananas instead of butter or margarine, same amount. why not whip the bananas, add some pb and maple syrup to taste. toast and chop the nuts, add that and the grape nuts to the mix until you have a good consistency. form into bars/balls and freeze. I'd probably serve it frozen, and I would also probably add some cinnamon to it. taste as you go.

OutATowner

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 10:15 pm
Unfortunately I have maple flavored syrup, not the real stuff. I know it's not healthy, just dietetic I guess.
I like the whipping the bananas idea.
I would like to be able to bake it so that I can cut it into bars and take it on the go.
Do you think I could do the steps you described, but bake it for a few minutes so it keeps it shape?
Should I add in oats?

AZmom09

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 11:05 am
OutATowner wrote:
Here's the challenge!
I would love to make some sort of healthy energy bar. I do not want to use butter, margarine, or oil. I would like to use sugar free maple syrup instead of honey (at least until I buy more honey).

This is what I have, I do not need to use all:
Mixed nuts (I can chop/toast, etc)
Oats
Muesli
Grape Nut Flakes cereal
Plain protein powder
ripe bananas
sugar free maple syrup
splenda brown sugar blend
stevia in the raw

I have peanut butter, but it's not reduced fat/sugar, so I would only want to use a little.
How do I put this all together to make a palatable bar?
TIA!!

Do you have applesauce? if not, used mashed banana in place. Oh I just saw you dont have natural pb. hmm not sure, but I guess check out recipe anyway!

Peanut Butter Granola Bars- from http://nowaythatshealthy.blogspot.com

1 cup old fashioned oats
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup peanut butter (or any nut butter you enjoy)
2 packets truvia or sweetner of your choice
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tb flaxseed (or oat flour or protein powder)
1/2 tsp baking powder
up to 1 cup of any add ins*- chocolate chips, dried fruit, nuts, seeds etc. (here I only used 1/8 cup chocolate cups)

Mix everything together. Place into an 8x8 pan lined with baking paper. Press down dough and smooth out. Bake at 350F for 20-30 minutes till top is browned a bit. The bottom may be very soft so what I then did was lifted up the parchment paper with the dough in it and flipped the whole thing over back into the pan so the bottom is now on top. I then baked it again for about 10 minutes till that part was browned. Once cooled cut into 12 squares and store in your fridge. I like these best cold.
*If you use 1 cup of add ins you may need to use and additional 1/4 cup of applesauce to the mixture.

AZmom09

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 11:07 am
Also you can make a mixture of oats mashed banana and a TB or so of sweetener and a scoop or two of protein powder.
Place on baking sheet into cookies and bake.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 5:58 pm
Thanks AZmom! I forgot- I have unsweetened applesauce. I don't want to use too much pb, but I will use applesauce and chopped nuts with a bit of syrup to hold it together.
Going to try it later tonight!

OutATowner

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 8:34 pm
So...
I mixed the syrup, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Mixed in oats, then the chopped toasted nuts. It was probably equal parts nuts/oats. I spread it in a 9x13 and baked it for 15 minutes. It came out a good consistency. Just has a taste of artificial maple syrup. I'm going to try it with honey next time.
I'll eat them, but I wouldn't serve them in a crowd.
Need to buy more nuts and honey...

AZmom09

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 1:42 am
Smile At least they are somewhat edible for you !
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking