Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Once - the musical, on Broadway

amother

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 9:11 pm
Can anyone who has seen this show provide me with information regarding its crudeness and/or s-xuality or explicitness?

Duggie

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 1:46 am
Just go on there website, Broadway.com . no hold on, I'll do it for you

Once looks amazing, by the way. It's won a whole bunch of tony's and it's a lovely romance story. If you like folk music, I think you'll love it.

this is from the website
Is Once Good for Kids?
Once is a love story, but it doesn’t go past a PG-13 rating. There is a smattering of four-letter words and some mild s-xual innuendo, but other than that it’s pretty clean. Kids would dig the communal feel of the piece, and the joy these actor-musicians clearly feel playing together is infectious for people of all ages.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 6:26 am
Duggie wrote:
Just go on there website, Broadway.com . no hold on, I'll do it for you

Once looks amazing, by the way. It's won a whole bunch of tony's and it's a lovely romance story. If you like folk music, I think you'll love it.

this is from the website
Is Once Good for Kids?
Once is a love story, but it doesn’t go past a PG-13 rating. There is a smattering of four-letter words and some mild s-xual innuendo, but other than that it’s pretty clean. Kids would dig the communal feel of the piece, and the joy these actor-musicians clearly feel playing together is infectious for people of all ages.

Oh, thank you. I didn't realize that musicals get "ratings" too. I appreciate you pointing that out to me, and I guess I got my answer.

Duggie

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 6:43 am
no problem. I'll be more than happy to answer all B-way questions here!

scrltfr

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 7:53 am
I saw it. A few curses thats it. Fyi I found it boring

amother

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 9:18 am
scrltfr wrote:
I saw it. A few curses thats it. Fyi I found it boring

How so? Was the music bad, or the storyline not engaging?

dimyona

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 9:21 am
I watched the original movie, and although it will be super boring for kids, it is very clean. It's a romance story, but very innocent. The only on-screen affection is a short kiss at the end.

I'm not sure how they spun it with the live musical though.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 9:24 am
dimyona wrote:
I watched the original movie, and although it will be super boring for kids, it is very clean. It's a romance story, but very innocent. The only on-screen affection is a short kiss at the end.

Thank you. I want to go with my husband, and he'd prefer something that's not crude. Will it be boring for adults, too?

dimyona

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 9:30 am
amother wrote:
dimyona wrote:

Thank you. I want to go with my husband, and he'd prefer something that's not crude. Will it be boring for adults, too?

It may. There's one really beautiful song that won a Grammy called "Falling Slowly". I would watch it just for that. But besides that, it's just a sweet story without too much "happening". I don't know your husband's style, but it really depends if he appreciates nuance vs. action. I know people who've literally fallen asleep in middle, and some who swear it's their favorite musical of all time.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 9:36 am
dimyona wrote:
amother wrote:
dimyona wrote:

It may. There's one really beautiful song that won a Grammy called "Falling Slowly". I would watch it just for that. But besides that, it's just a sweet story without too much "happening". I don't know your husband's style, but it really depends if he appreciates nuance vs. action. I know people who've literally fallen asleep in middle, and some who swear it's their favorite musical of all time.

It's our first Broadway show, so I guess we'll try it and take it from there.

Thanks for your help.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics