Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Recipe (natural) for zucchini soup, pumpkin soup, etc.

Mevater

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 3:06 pm
Recipes for real home-made zucchini soup, pumpkin soup, etc. w/o onion soup mix, and other unnatural chazerei that would be ideal for cold weather, anyone?

Thanks, in advance.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 3:07 pm
I hve some, but they're kind of plain. Are spices okay?

Mevater

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 3:09 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

Sure- they're natural. Thanks.

Basya

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 3:15 pm
I take 3-4 zuchinnis, boil them in water, blend with a hand blender in the pot after they are soft and add salt onion powder and garlic powder.

As for butternut squash, potatoes, or sweet potatoes, I do the same but just add a little chicken soup mix.

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 3:22 pm
I just made "orange" soup. I fried onions and garlic, added any orange veggies at hand (today it was the pear-shaped orange squash, carrots and sweet potato) I added a couple of zucchinis, a few sticks of fennel and lots of water with a touch of salt and boiled until soft. My trick which gets all the children eating and asking for seconds is to blend it smooth!

yOungM0mmy

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 5:18 pm
I make my zucchini soup with onion - no frying, and add salt, pepper and garlic sometimes. blend when soft. you can do the same thing with celery instead of zucchini, just cook for longer.

my butternut squash soup is heavenly - onions and squash, carrots if you want, also no frying - and put in some salt, pepper and curry powder! it gives it a little kick, delicious. blend when soft.

I also make a blended pea soup - really easy, saute an onion and carrot cut into circles. add a can of blended peas, some water, and cook till carrots are soft.

I never use msg or soup mixes in my soups, and have always gotten compliments on my soups - I make tomato soup with cabbage and carrots (spiced with a bit of black pepper, sugar and vinegar), vegetable soup with lentils, potato soup, onion soup....

pm me if you want more recipes - I start most meals in the winter with soup!

baseballmom

Post Wed, Jun 06 2007, 9:22 pm
Anyone else with zucchini soup recipes? I have tons of zucchini here and want to make a yummy (and freezable) soup.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jun 06 2007, 9:34 pm
in a day or so it's gonnna be 90 deg. too hot for soup. see you next fall!

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jun 07 2007, 2:57 am
One of the best ways to add flavor, without adding chemicals to soups and stews is to make stock in advance.

Take a large pot. Use unpeeled carrots, onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes or butternut squash, zucchini, parsnip even kohlrabi... cut them all into large pieces and toss them into a pot.

Take a bunch of fresh dill, fresh parsley, fresh 'soup greens' (which are the tops of parsnips) and bruise them (after you wash them, crush them in your hands) then toss that into your pot.

If you want to make if fleishig, add chicken wings or the carcass of the turkey you made last week and froze and add that too.

Season with black pepper and just a little salt (with all the other flavors, salt isn't so important) add water and let it sit on a medium flame for about 4 or 5 hours.

Let it cool and then using a medium to fine strainer, decant the liquid into half liter (20 oz) empty bottles of soda and freeze. Defrost as needed.

Since you've cooked the heck out of the veggies, all the vitamins and nutrients are int he liquid and you can throw away the leftovers.

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 4:15 pm
Kmelion wrote:
One of the best ways to add flavor, without adding chemicals to soups and stews is to make stock in advance.

Take a large pot. Use unpeeled carrots, onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes or butternut squash, zucchini, parsnip even kohlrabi... cut them all into large pieces and toss them into a pot.

Take a bunch of fresh dill, fresh parsley, fresh 'soup greens' (which are the tops of parsnips) and bruise them (after you wash them, crush them in your hands) then toss that into your pot.

If you want to make if fleishig, add chicken wings or the carcass of the turkey you made last week and froze and add that too.

Season with black pepper and just a little salt (with all the other flavors, salt isn't so important) add water and let it sit on a medium flame for about 4 or 5 hours.

Let it cool and then using a medium to fine strainer, decant the liquid into half liter (20 oz) empty bottles of soda and freeze. Defrost as needed.

Since you've cooked the heck out of the veggies, all the vitamins and nutrients are int he liquid and you can throw away the leftovers.

When you use this stock do you use a bit of it and add additional water or is this the complete broth for your soup?

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 4:19 pm
Is using worchestershire sauce considered unnatural? It's great for soups. I also put some sherry into my soups. Garlic salt is also great for flavoring.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 1:06 am
BennysMommy wrote:
When you use this stock do you use a bit of it and add additional water or is this the complete broth for your soup?

The flavor is very concentrated. I find that half a liter added to my usual soup (which has veggies, chicken or beef and black pepper) is enough to take the place of soup powders.

I also use it when I remember to defrost it when I make chicken with rice. I'll use two cups of uncooked rice and use 3 1/2 cups of liquid.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 1:07 am
Real worchestershire sauce contains fish and therefore can't be used with poultry or beef.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 11:18 am
It depends. . . many people say that you can use Heinz b/c the percentage of anchovies is so low.

Mevater

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 4:18 pm
Last post was in 2007.

Whats the easiest way to make an all natural Zuchinni soup, the easier the better (no making stock in advance....)?

TIA

Mevater

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 4:20 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Your recipes are great. Whats an easy all natural Zuchini soup recipe, without stock that you have to make in advance?

imasinger

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 4:59 pm
Six years later, you can now find chemical free, all natural vegetable stock with a good hechsher in boxes in almost any grocery store.

Alternatively, just use water, a little onion, and extra salt in the recipe.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 6:13 pm
Mevater wrote:
Last post was in 2007.

Whats the easiest way to make an all natural Zuchinni soup, the easier the better (no making stock in advance....)?

TIA

Zucchini Soup
3 Tbsp oil
3 Vidalia onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
6-8 medium zucchini, with skin, ends trimmed, and cut into chunks
8 cups water
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried dill
1 pinch dried basil
kosher salt
coarse black pepper

Heat oil in 8 qt pot over med-high heat. Add onions and garlic and saute 5-7 minutes.
Add zucchini for 3-5 minutes. Add water. Bring to a boil. Cover pot and simmer 25 minutes.
Add parsley, dill and basil. Blend soup with immersion blender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....+soup
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics