Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Shocking ingredients in "healthy" foods
Previous  1  2

acemom

Post Fri, Nov 22 2013, 10:23 am
I must admit, I am not a "health nut" in the least bit. Actually, there is lots of junk food available in my house.... embarrassed However, at least I "know" when I am eating something that is not healthy!

What is with all these supposedly healthy foods having additives and junk added? Rolling Eyes

Ruchel

Post Fri, Nov 22 2013, 10:28 am
Yup. They may be "healthy style", or less unhealthy, or the people manufacturing thinks this ingredient is ok.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Nov 22 2013, 10:34 am
I'm going out on a limb here: I think frum yogurt companies have 1 label for all their yogurts, and just stick on different flavors without changing the nutrition information. It doesn't make sense to me that all flavors have the same exact amount of sugar, of Vitamin C (some have real strawberries in them), etc. It could be the red 40 isn't actually in the vanilla yogurt. I don't know; never saw that brand's yogurt. You can make your own yogurt at home though if you want to avoid it Very Happy

And I use xanthan gum in my cooking of gluten free foods, so don't worry too much about that one.

mille

Post Sat, Nov 23 2013, 6:38 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I'm going out on a limb here: I think frum yogurt companies have 1 label for all their yogurts, and just stick on different flavors without changing the nutrition information. It doesn't make sense to me that all flavors have the same exact amount of sugar, of Vitamin C (some have real strawberries in them), etc. It could be the red 40 isn't actually in the vanilla yogurt. I don't know; never saw that brand's yogurt. You can make your own yogurt at home though if you want to avoid it Very Happy

And I use xanthan gum in my cooking of gluten free foods, so don't worry too much about that one.

I don't think they would be legally allowed to do that, though. It's different than a variable ingredient ("corn and/or soybean oil") which has the same nutritional content. No yogurt brand (although I don't buy frum brands because I don't keep chalav yisrael) that I have seen keep the same nutritional label and ingredients label for every flavor, and I don't think they can per FDA rules.

granolamom

Post Sat, Nov 23 2013, 6:54 pm
mille wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

I don't think they would be legally allowed to do that, though. It's different than a variable ingredient ("corn and/or soybean oil") which has the same nutritional content. No yogurt brand (although I don't buy frum brands because I don't keep chalav yisrael) that I have seen keep the same nutritional label and ingredients label for every flavor, and I don't think they can per FDA rules.

no one said it was legal.
I once read the label on one brand of challah. no eggs were listed. I called the bakery and they confirmed that eggs ARE in the challah (which I knew because I could see the glaze and I tasted them). another heimish brand of rye bread did not list the caraway seeds, which were visible. a third bakery's babka listed chocolate chips on their cinnamon babka and there was not a chip to be seen.
I know that it might be easier to mess up the label in a bakery than a yogurt processing plant, but it wouldnt surprise me if HY was right about that.

Miri1

Post Sat, Nov 23 2013, 7:14 pm
I found food coloring in pasta.

I consider anything that I don't make myself to be suspect - I'm not swayed by "all natural" type labels. I eat them, but I don't pretend they're good for me...

shanie5

Post Sat, Nov 23 2013, 8:44 pm
I love the pesach pasta sauces. They say "made with olive oil". Read the ingredients! First comes cottonseed oil. The olive oil is after the salt! And for those who dont know, ingredients are listed in order of how much is in the product.

asmileaday

Post Sat, Nov 23 2013, 9:07 pm
Someone mentioned onion soup mix. What's so bad about that? Even if I buy the msg free one?

amother

Post Sat, Nov 23 2013, 9:19 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Someone mentioned onion soup mix. What's so bad about that? Even if I buy the msg free one?

What ingredients are listed?

asmileaday

Post Sat, Nov 23 2013, 10:08 pm
Potato starch, tapioca dextrin, salt, sugar, dehydrated onions, hydrogenated palm oil shortening, vegetable oil (walnut or palm) spices, turmeric, natural flavor, artificial flavor.

Ok I guess the shortening is problematic but how much can it have already if I'm just using a couple of teaspoons for an entire chicken and broccoli recipe?

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Nov 23 2013, 10:46 pm
granolamom wrote:
mille wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

no one said it was legal.
I once read the label on one brand of challah. no eggs were listed. I called the bakery and they confirmed that eggs ARE in the challah (which I knew because I could see the glaze and I tasted them). another heimish brand of rye bread did not list the caraway seeds, which were visible. a third bakery's babka listed chocolate chips on their cinnamon babka and there was not a chip to be seen.
I know that it might be easier to mess up the label in a bakery than a yogurt processing plant, but it wouldnt surprise me if HY was right about that.

And as the mom of a child with food allergies, that is really scary Sad
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking