Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Green smoothie for weightloss

amother

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 7:55 am
Has anybody tried a weightloss food plan consisting of green smoothies 2-3 times a day, raw veggies as snacks, and a low carb/ high protein dinner. I would like to know what exactly you did, and your succes.
Thnx

Happy18

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 7:59 am
I do a green smoothie once a day and have been on a low carb diet for several years. I lost weight, and have more energy, but it adds a significant amount of time devoted to food prep.

cbg

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 8:13 am
Happy18 wrote:
I do a green smoothie once a day and have been on a low carb diet for several years. I lost weight, and have more energy, but it adds a significant amount of time devoted to food prep.

Can I know exactly what you do, and how much weight you loss, and kept off.

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 9:07 am
isn't it easier to just eat spinach & broccoli than to drink it and also more fulfilling to chew ? [serious query]

cbg

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 11:11 am
First of all, experts say you should only mix leafy greens,spinach, kale, collards, etc., in your smoothie. (No brocolli, or carrot), since greens can digest easily with fruit.

Second of all its delicious, and more appealing to me than a dry salad.

Third of all the amount of leafy greens in a green smoothie is much more than I would want to eat in a salad.

I just had a 16oz smoothie with 3 packed full cups of spinach and kale (more spinach than kale), 1/2 frozen banana, 1/2 frozen avocado, 1/2 cup pineapple, and ice.
I would never be able to eat so much salad, junk yes, but not salad.

I was wondering if any one did a weightloss plan using green smoothies as meal replacements.

I'm kind of making it up as I go along
2-3 green smoothies a day, snack on raw veggies and limited fruit, and protein and cooked veggies for dinner.

I need/want to lose 30lbs.
I know I should exercise, but.....

black sheep

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 11:39 am
greenfire wrote:
isn't it easier to just eat spinach & broccoli than to drink it and also more fulfilling to chew ? [serious query]

it is much more fulfilling to eat it than to pulverize and drink it.

in my opinion, the only reason to drink green smoothies is to get in more spinach/kale/leafy greens than you would be willing to eat. four cups of spinach comes out to half a cup of smoothie, and frees up your time to eat the things you actually want to eat.

OP, for weight loss, smoothies can backfire because you drink more calories than you can eat. better to take leafy greens, cooked vegetables, chopped vegetables, and eat them more often. add some protein and healthy carbs, and you have a balanced diet that can help you lose weight in a healthy way.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 5:02 pm
Depends what you have in mind when you say "green shake." I make kale shakes for my kids but they also have apple, banana and pineapple in them. I could never lose weight drinking all that fruit. You can make veggie only green smoothies, or green smoothies with very little fruit but they don't tend to taste very good in my opinion.

Happy18

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 5:12 pm
I will try to post more later, but before I forget I want to write this. I do not use the green smoothie as a meal substitute its really more of a snack. I guess if you filled it with enough it would count as a meal, but I prefer to eat my meals.

mandksima

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 5:34 pm
I bought this to try to incorporate into my daily diet but haven't found a way to make it tasty without too much fruit - green blend

I have to try again as I am really interested in seeing if it gives me more energy.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 7:07 pm
we've discussed this before, do a search. some ppl gain weight from juicing, too.

AZmom09

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 3:56 pm
I did a plan from Greenthickies.com it was green smoothie with oats in the morning, lunch was either another smoothie or a salad and baked potato and dinner was a vegan dinner.
I did it for one week and lost 3 lbs I think, I felt good, but I wasnt the biggest fan of the smoothies and I like to snack so I had a hard time with the three meals only. She said you could snack on fruit if you wanted to though.
I usually drink a green smoothier every day between lunch and dinner and dinner I have a lighter meal with salad and protein. Lunch and breakfast are my higher carb meals.
This works for me

Lizzie4

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 4:00 pm
This is a great shake with all the greens and vitamins you will need.

A frozen banana
Some Coconut milk
A scoop of Barlean's Greens (a powder you can buy in most health food stores)

Blend with blender
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking