Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Gemachs
Rules for Gmachs

odchai

Post Mon, Nov 25 2013, 5:40 pm
My SIL has a simcha gmach in a neighborhood in Israel and is ready to quit the whole thing completely unless she gets some help with setting up rules that make sense. Is there anyone out there who could send me the rules they have set up for their gmach? She doesn't want to charge anything, since she believes that would turn people off, even if it's just as a deposit. But she needs help establishing boundaries since it has become a very popular gmach and she doesn't want to be taken advantage of. She really wants to continue to help people make their simchas special, but needs help with rules.

Thanks!

myself

Post Mon, Nov 25 2013, 5:55 pm
Talking from experience, a returnable deposit is a must!

odchai

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 8:27 am
You know when I told her that I would post this question for her the first thing she said was "don't tell me I have to make people give deposits" but truthfully everyone who she know that runs gmachs say the same thing. I don't understand exactly why she doesn't want to do it, but she's convinced that people hesitate when she mentions anything about money and it will turn people off and they won't want to borrow from her and since she's in this to help people she doesn't want to turn them off. However, she is getting burned out the way she is handling it now, so do you have any other suggestions?

SplitPea

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 8:31 am
How about a check that won't be cashed?

They can place a hold on it but that cost money so it would be easier just returning the stuff

How about a signed agreement with some statement in it about the halaca of not keeping items that are not yours

Hummmm the no deposit thing is weird because every gemach around here does that.

Maybe a reference or two so she can call the references if she can't get ahold of the people to return it?

Honestly before giving a reference I would rather give a deposit.

Happy18

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 8:36 am
She needs to require a deposit. It doesn't have to be huge, but it needs to be something. Otherwise people will take advantage and not return things.

odchai

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 8:39 am
you're right, I told her the same thing. Everyone is familiar with how a gmach works and since it is a chesed and one is not buying the item everyone expects to be asked for some type of deposit. Not only does it ensure that the item is covered some what if broken or damaged but it also makes people be more aware of the item they are borrowing and held responsible for. If someone has to pay or will be charged if they don't return it the way they got it, they value it more. I will tell her again.
Thanks!

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 12:06 pm
Odchai, someone answered your question anonymously. Just wanted to make sure you saw it Smile

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....ight=

Last edited by amother on Sun, Nov 18 2018, 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

odchai

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 12:26 pm
you're right I didn't see it, how would I see it? and how did you see it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics