Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Try this latke making tip!

watergirl

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 3:26 pm
You know how when frying latkes ( or shnitzel or whatever else), the last batches look black from the used oil? Sk try this tip I just heard about... Peel carrots and cut them into thickish rings. Put a few pieces in with the oil and fry the batter as you normally would. The oil stays clean and no more ugly black latkes!

canada

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 4:43 pm
Thanks. will do!

Maya

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 6:20 pm
I've heard of this before, but never tried it. Does it work?

watergirl

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 6:38 pm
Maya wrote:
I've heard of this before, but never tried it. Does it work?

Yes!!! I change the carrots every few batches. The last batch will look just like the first batch.

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 7:08 pm
It works perfectly.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 8:01 pm
What do you do with the fried carrots? Can you eat them? Also do you have to change carrot rings/sliced carrots as you keep on frying latkes?

Butterfly

Post Fri, Nov 29 2013, 12:19 am
I put a peeled carrot in the pot of oil when I fry donuts. Once the carrot turns black I replace it with a fresh one. Oil stays clear all the time as a result.

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 29 2013, 1:13 am
So what do you do with the blackened carrot?

watergirl

Post Fri, Nov 29 2013, 5:13 am
Toss it. It gets all oily and burnt.

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 29 2013, 10:05 am
No, thanks, then. That idea offends my bal tashchis gene. Besides, I don't mind blackened latkes at all. In fact, I prefer them.

greenfire

Post Fri, Nov 29 2013, 10:27 am
zaq I think we're related ... I wouldn't want to waste a carrot ... and I prefer darker crunchier latkes ...

but I'm suddenly wondering how fried carrots taste ...

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 29 2013, 10:35 am
Greenie! Are you my long-lost cousin Zelda? All us Zaqariases love crunchy dark latkes. Don't even think of serving us a "golden-brown" one.

I imagine fried carrots are delicious, like most fried foods, though you'd probably have to first parboil them and/or slice them paper thin to get them to cook through and through.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Nov 29 2013, 10:41 am
You can use just a piece of a regular carrot. It's better than wasting oil Smile

greenfire

Post Fri, Nov 29 2013, 10:53 am
zaq wrote:
Greenie! Are you my long-lost cousin Zelda? All us Zaqariases love crunchy dark latkes. Don't even think of serving us a "golden-brown" one.

I imagine fried carrots are delicious, like most fried foods, though you'd probably have to first parboil them and/or slice them paper thin to get them to cook through and through.

perhaps ... but I cannot out myself on here ...

my other query is doesn't the carrots make the oil sweet - who wants sweet latkes ?!

oliveoil

Post Fri, Nov 29 2013, 11:03 am
I always do this when frying. Doesn't need to be rings. Any piece of carrot will do.

Butterfly

Post Fri, Nov 29 2013, 11:20 am
watergirl wrote:
Toss it. It gets all oily and burnt.

This.

Butterfly

Post Fri, Nov 29 2013, 11:28 am
zaq wrote:
No, thanks, then. That idea offends my bal tashchis gene. Besides, I don't mind blackened latkes at all. In fact, I prefer them.

Do you prefer blackened donuts as well?

Or when one cooks meat with onion and garlic isn't the onion/garlic baal tashchis as well? Most don't eat it ye know...

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 29 2013, 11:32 am
Well, Green, if you ever had zits, ate zucchini, visited the zoo, took zither lessons, had zebra-stripe jammies, knew what a ziggurat was or used zinc-oxide sunblock, you're a Zaqarias. Maybe not Zelda--I think she moved out West in 1899 or thereabouts after her dh gave her one zets too many--but maybe Zahava the Zealot (are you Zionist?)

octopus

Post Fri, Nov 29 2013, 1:46 pm
Butterfly wrote:
zaq wrote:

Do you prefer blackened donuts as well?

Or when one cooks meat with onion and garlic isn't the onion/garlic baal tashchis as well? Most don't eat it ye know...

I do. embarrassed
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus