Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
The Constant Guests
Previous  1  2  3

spinkles

Post Sun, Sep 30 2012, 11:34 am
Quote:
Yes yes, lefum tzaro agro as we learned in Pirkei Ovos but still there are limits...you don't have to CHOOSE to suffer, sometimes is happens on its own.

Of course she shouldn't host them if it's very difficult for her...and it sounds like it is. But I'd like to point out that people love All for the Boss, people love stories about the Machlises in Yerushalayim, and of course many of us know families in our own community who have open homes and who cherish the opportunity. So having guests who are difficult is not impossible. And it's not automatically difficult. There are families who enjoy being able to do so. It's not for everybody, but that doesn't mean that it's not for anybody. There are people who certainly wouldn't consider it suffering. They are happy to help a fellow Jew.
Quote:
It is not a chessed to enable someone who is taking advantage of you.

If "normal" people were doing this, it would be taking advantage. But these people aren't aware, so I wouldn't judge them that way.

Shalhevet, you're right that it's not hachnasas orchim. It's definitely chesed though. People are hungry for more than food.

If everything checks out, and they are reasonably stable/safe, and aren't going hungry, they're just a bit "off" and lonely, then why not host them if you're able to?

Nicole

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 10:43 am
OP, how did you resolve this?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 5:44 pm
BUMP.
I know this is an old thread - but OP, are you still on the site? there was a similar incident not too long ago, and I thought of you. Was wondering how you solved this issue...
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics