Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Suddenly not sleeping through the night

mandr

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 10:52 am
For the entire week, my 7-week old baby would sleep solidly from 12 to about 6 or 7am each night. I nursed him at 12, which is when I went to bed, and then he'd wake up at at the aforementioned times for the next feeding, with solid sleep in between. I was counting my blessings, when suddenly it all stopped. He started going to the babysitter yesterday and last night I fed him at 11, he woke up to eat at 3, then at 6, then at 7:30 (pacifier, no feeding) and then at 8:30. Is that due to him going to a babysitter? I read online that a baby can miss his mother time so he'll be up more at night, but does that make sense? And he was up a lot yesterday so it's not like he wasn't tired at night. And even when I fed him at night, he still wanted to be held till he fell asleep. So of course now I'm drained Wink

Edited "7-month" to "7-week"

Last edited by mandr on Fri, Dec 13 2013, 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 10:59 am
Yup, totally can be waking for comfort since he's missing it during the day. Also, are you sure he's getting enough milk at the sitter? He may be legitimately hungry.

MMCH

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 11:05 am
teething?

my 11 month old will go weeks sleeping from 645-630 and then this past week has been waking up @ 400 am every night.
she's pulled this shtick be4.. and wont do anything but nurse...
im assuming shes teething.

mandr

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 11:25 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Yup, totally can be waking for comfort since he's missing it during the day. Also, are you sure he's getting enough milk at the sitter? He may be legitimately hungry.

Well I feed him when I get home, at 5ish, then at 7ish, 9ish, and 11ish. I usually feed 3-4 hours but I do it every 2 hours in the evening hours so he's fuller at nighttime, so that can't be the issue. Also he doesn't look very hungry when he's eating, and he dozes off in middle of feeding.

mandr

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 11:25 am
MMCH wrote:
teething?

my 11 month old will go weeks sleeping from 645-630 and then this past week has been waking up @ 400 am every night.

Never heard of teething at 7-8 weeks! Have you?

m+m

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 11:27 am
Could be a growth spurt, learning something new (starting to crawl, teething..

Cookies n Cream

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 11:29 am
mandr wrote:
MMCH wrote:
teething?

Never heard of teething at 7-8 weeks! Have you?

Firstly in your OP, you wrote 7 months!
Secondly, my oldest was teething at 2 months...

mandr

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 11:35 am
Cookies n Cream wrote:

Firstly in your OP, you wrote 7 months!
Secondly, my oldest was teething at 2 months...

Oops, sorry! I'm jumping the gun! He's 7 weeks!

morah

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 12:24 pm
Could be a growth spurt- there usually is one around 6 weeks. Also, don't get too attached to the sleeping through the night at this age. Just when you think you've got it down, something will come along and throw it off- growth spurt, teething, illness, new developmental stage etc.

mandr

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 12:27 pm
And while we're on the topic of sleep, at what age does one stop swaddling a baby? When I put him to sleep at night (since he was born), I wrap him up like a burrito and I assume he likes it because I don't hear otherwise. Does it prevent him from developing properly?

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 12:31 pm
mandr wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

Well I feed him when I get home, at 5ish, then at 7ish, 9ish, and 11ish. I usually feed 3-4 hours but I do it every 2 hours in the evening hours so he's fuller at nighttime, so that can't be the issue. Also he doesn't look very hungry when he's eating, and he dozes off in middle of feeding.

Babies need to eat a certain amount over a 24 hr period. Is he getting enough at the sitter? Breastfed babies usually need to be fed more often than every 3-4 hours. In the evening sometimes they nurse every hour. If he's waking because he's hungry at night, he may be too sleepy to feed well. Doesn't mean he isn't hungry.

Also, 7 weeks can easily be a growth spurt. Plus, sleep patterns change all the time. Sorry to tell you Smile

MMCH

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 12:32 pm
haa ok 7 weeks then is probably a growth spurt.
just go with the flow at this age, they get new schedules and routines every other day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics