Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Need some recommendations for sensitive DDs curly hair

Twizzlers

Post Sat, Dec 14 2013, 10:26 pm
My 3.5 year old has a full head of curly hair. Its very fine hair, but literally in ringlets. Its not long enough to stay in a ponytail yet, so she wears it mostly down, with a clip on the side. When she wakes up in the morning, her hair looks like its been stuck into a socket. I need a good shampoo/conditioner for her.

The problem is, she's allergic to many chemicals, and breaks out in eczema when in contact with them. We were able to keep her reactions to a minimum after we switched detergents, but I think its the hair products we've been using till now that are still irritating her.

Any suggestions?

raqsmama

Post Sat, Dec 14 2013, 10:33 pm
So sorry to hear about the ecsema. My dd also has wacky curly hair and severe allergies and ecsema. We wash her hair with loreal kids shampoo and lots of conditioner. We put her hair up in a pony when she is too cranky to have it brushed. We also use mousse to keep the curls looking pretty

bluebird

Post Sat, Dec 14 2013, 10:42 pm
It's hard to say without knowing what your daughter's allergic to. Try looking through here and see if something looks good: http://www.naturallycurly.com/.....-hair

Also, make sure that you're only washing every other day at most with a gentle shampoo to avoid drying out her hair (a very common problem with curly hair). Most days I just use a conditioner on my hair then comb it while wet. Your daughter may need her hair washed or conditioned less often than you're doing now. You can use a gentle defrizzer in the morning to prevent "light socket head." Sunny I use this: http://www.mydevacurl.com/prod....._free

Twizzlers

Post Sat, Dec 14 2013, 10:47 pm
Its hard to know exactly what she's allergic to. I cant test her for every chemical they put in detergents and shampoos. She is able to tolerate ALL Free Detergent though.

I only wash her hair twice a week to begin with, I wouldnt want to cut down on that.

Have you tried any of the products on that naturally curly site?

gold21

Post Sat, Dec 14 2013, 10:54 pm
What about trying a leave-in hair serum?

Like Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum. Its not goopy or gross or oily, it goes on smoothly and doesn't make the hair feel weird.

I think Paul Mitchell is one of those healthy-ingredient type companies.

Then you could just use a standard Aveeno type hair wash and rely on a leave-in product to tame those curls.

I didn't know your DD had curly hair btw! So cute!!

:-)

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Dec 14 2013, 10:57 pm
I've heard amazing things about this line of products http://www.carolsdaughter.com/.....TsAXw

It was started by a woman who was appalled at the amount of harmful chemicals in hair products for African American women, and she didn't want to use anything like that on her daughter so she invented her own formulas. Lots of people I know absolutely swear by this stuff (regardless of their race. It works on any curly girl.)

bluebird

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 12:37 am
Some products made for African hair (which is the curliest of the curly hair) work on all curly hair, some don't. The oils generally don't in my experience as they're good for tightly-curled, dry African hair but tend to weigh down looser curls. The shea butter and cocoa-based products are hit-and-miss for me.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 12:52 am
I second the "carol's daughter" products, they are exceptional. they can turn nightmare hair into gorgeous hair in minutes--they've done so for me

Mirabelle

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 11:00 am
My 4 year old with eczema does really well with the "It's a 10" products.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics