Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Healthy Chulent Recipes

shoshtheflower

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 10:43 am
Hey!

So I am kind of hating the chulent recipe I normally use. I realized it is very bad carb heavy (ordinary potatos, barley, certain beans), and ultra fatty (though yummy), and that I often add extra sugar in (ketchup, brown sugar, honey...though honey isn't as bad)

Beyond swapping out potatoes with sweet potatoes/yams and brown sugar for honey or agave (has anyone tried that) - what can I do to healthify chulent.

Quinoa? Something?

oliveoil

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 12:52 pm
There's nothing inherently wrong with barley. You can try switching it out for brown rice and see if you prefer that.

Use chicken instead of meat. That will make it less fatty.
Or do half-half if meat is important to you.

Get rid of the sweeteners altogether. Cholent really doesn't need that much extra stuff added in. Just use salt and spices.

Sweet potato instead of (or as well as) potato is a good idea.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 1:08 pm
My mother makes a wheat berry chulent with sweet potatoes. It's delicious! The secret is lots of paprika.

rena18

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 1:55 pm
I put butternut squash or kabocha squash into my chulent, we like it much better than with potatoes. I don't like the way sweet potatoes come out in chulent. I also put in peeled and diced zucchini. You can't really tell it is in there if it is diced I don't use honey or other sweeteners, just spices (salt, pepper, onion powder, minced garlic, paprika) and sometimes some ketchup and soy sauce. Beans are very healthy. I also put in some barley.

When I've tried adding other vegetables like carrot, celery,large pieces of zucchini, etc. and left out the barley It doesn't taste like cholent anymore, more like a vegetable stew.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus