Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Chicken soup with no chicken powder
Previous  1  2

spring13

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 11:15 pm
A trick I learned is to add a tablespoon or two of apple cider vinegar to soup made with lots of bones, it adds some depth of flavor and supposedly pulls extra calcium from the bones into the broth. When I see packages of just bones on sale at the store, I buy a few packages and freeze.

Another thing to try if the usual fresh seasonings aren't doing it for you is to add some grated fresh ginger (or a couple of those Dorot frozen cubes).

If you hesitate to use fresh herbs (dill and parsley FTW!) b/c bug checking concerns, look in frum grocery stores for the little cloth drawstring bags that you can stuff with greens and chuck in the pot.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 11:58 pm
abaker wrote:
I'd like to make matzah ball soup without using the parve chicken powder or anything similar...I just want a good tasting flavorful soup without the MSG and artificial ingredients...I've tried using onion powder and garlic powder...but the soup tastes so bland.

what do you put in your matzah ball soup (list all veggies/spices and all tips you may have to improve flavor)

thank you!

I'm not quite are what matza ball soup is, but I will assume it's chicken soup with matza balls.
So here's what undo:
Fill the pot with as much water as I want, and boil it. Once it boils, I reduce it to a simmer and then add either one leg quarter or one pkg of cut up whole chicken, one pkg of pupiks (gizzards), a little bit of zucchini and yellow squash, one sweet potato, 1/2-1 whole head of garlic, a small onion, and one carrot. Then it just cooks the rest if the day. It comes out with a rich taste and clear broth.

imeinu

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 12:47 am
abaker wrote:
I'd like to make matzah ball soup without using the parve chicken powder or anything similar...I just want a good tasting flavorful soup without the MSG and artificial ingredients...I've tried using onion powder and garlic powder...but the soup tastes so bland.

what do you put in your matzah ball soup (list all veggies/spices and all tips you may have to improve flavor)

thank you!

10 quart pot
fill it up with
1 pack (sorry, don't know size) chicken bones - the volume of it is around 1/2 of a 5lb bag of flour.
5-6 carrots
1/2 butternut squash (or 2 sweet potatoes)
3-4 stalks celery (or celery root)
4-5 pieces garlic
2 onions
2 large zucchini
1 turnip
1 parsnip

cut all veggies besides for turnip and parsnip which we don't eat
the pot should be 1/2 full by the time you are ready to add water. add water till 2 inches below the top of the pot. bring to a rolling boil and then lower to a simmer

I simmer my soup overnight!
the smell in the morning is heavenly, and the soup is tasty and has a golden color.

I don't cook with a lot of salt so I always tell my guests to please feel free to add, but my family likes it just fine this way.

Every batch of soup tastes different, and I have to admit, some better than others, but this is a tried and true recipe with out spices or soup mix.

Grandmama

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 1:04 am
I never put onions into my chicken soup. I find it sweetens it. I like my chicken soup very clear, so I cook up the chicken first in water to cover, I never use MSG or chicken flavored cubes.
I strain the liquid and wash the pot and then I put the chicken back with the following vegetables
Zuchinni (Yellow and green which gets eaten)
Carrots
Parsley Root
Celery
Kohlrabi
I simmer and skim the soup as it is cooking, I like a clear soup.
Sometimes I add turkey bones or necks, but I rarely add meat because I want a real chicken soup, not a meat soup. I add a tablespoon of salt, and simmer 2-3 hours with just enough water to cover.

My chicken soup is yummy. Golden yellow and clean. Delicious.

StripedFlower

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 2:10 am
abaker wrote:

thank you!

Do you mean chicken soup?

The best idea is to use more chicken in the pot. Wings are especially flavourful.

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 4:51 am
bamamama wrote:
Rescuing your bland soup:Saute 2 onions until soft and light brown. Add to soup. This provides all the flavour you need.

When making your next soup, roast the chicken or bones first. I collect the bones from Friday night's chicken and freeze them for the next time I make stock. When I make stock from scratch, I start by sauteeing onions, add the bones from the freezer and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2-3 hrs or longer - lid off. Then I strain the bones and onions out of the soup and either package up the broth for other use or I add other veg at that point - whatever your family likes. I typically add carrots and celery. Zucchini in the summer. Carrots offer maximum flavour when just cooked - so don't cook longer than 20-30 min at this point depending on how large your veg pieces are.

You take the bones from peoples plates? Thats such a great and economical idea but I don't like the idea of doing that.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 7:49 am
Raisin wrote:
bamamama wrote:
Rescuing your bland soup:Saute 2 onions until soft and light brown. Add to soup. This provides all the flavour you need.

When making your next soup, roast the chicken or bones first. I collect the bones from Friday night's chicken and freeze them for the next time I make stock. When I make stock from scratch, I start by sauteeing onions, add the bones from the freezer and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2-3 hrs or longer - lid off. Then I strain the bones and onions out of the soup and either package up the broth for other use or I add other veg at that point - whatever your family likes. I typically add carrots and celery. Zucchini in the summer. Carrots offer maximum flavour when just cooked - so don't cook longer than 20-30 min at this point depending on how large your veg pieces are.

You take the bones from peoples plates? Thats such a great and economical idea but I don't like the idea of doing that.

I do the same thing. I only take bones from family members, though. Remember, you're going to be boiling any germs off of them anyway!

My trick is to roast a whole chicken until golden and the skin is nice and crispy. Serve all the breast meat for one meal, or save it for chicken salad.

Take all the leftover chicken, skin included, and dump it in a pot. Simmer all day, and skim often. I then strain out the solids, putting the broth in another stock pot. I pick through the chicken and bones, tossing the meaty bits back into the broth, and discarding the bones and skin. Stick it in the freezer while you're chopping up your veggies of choice.

When the fat is solid on top of the broth, remove it with a spoon. You can save the fat for sautéing onions. Heat up the broth with chicken, and add your veggies and season to taste. Let it simmer until the veggies are tender. DD loves the celery, so I leave it in big stalks for her. DH isn't crazy about carrots, so I chop them so finely that he can't pick them out. Wink

I love to add dried dill to my matzoh balls. It really adds a little something special.

Extra tip. If you're really sick, and have a horrible sore throat, take the soup and run it through your food processor until it's thick and creamy (or use a hand blender). Add a few teaspoons of turmeric, and reheat until the spices are completely absorbed.

When I had scarlet fever, I lived on this soup for about 2 weeks, and it was the only thing that kept me alive.

abaker

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 8:50 am
yes...chicken soup with matzah balls is what I was asking about. Very Happy

Willow43

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 1:59 pm
I havent gone through all the replies so im sure someone has teh same or similar recipe as me but ill write it anyway. I used to be heavy on MSG and other garbage in my soup since my husband likes his soup VERY flavory.

but the moment of truth came when we ate at my super healthy sister in law and her soup was better than mine! I use her recipe now and I love it

a few pieces of chicken
a bag of bones
carrots
celery (were not celery fans so I skip this)
parsnip
zuchinni
sweet potato
onion
parsley
a cube of dill
and a little salt

I personally add a garlic cube or powder but she doesnt

then add water and let it boil, the simmer over night or for at least 6 hours. its sooo yummy and flavory!

im sitting at work now and actually salivating thinking about it.

She claims the chicken and the bones and the fact that it simmers for so long is what creates the flavor.

tsiggelle

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 3:39 pm
Willow43 wrote:

a few pieces of chicken
a bag of bones
carrots
celery (were not celery fans so I skip this)
parsnip
zuchinni
sweet potato
onion
parsley
a cube of dill
and a little salt

She claims the chicken and the bones and the fact that it simmers for so long is what creates the flavor.

I think it's the bones, celery, parsnip,onion, parsley and dill that does it.

bamamama

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 6:26 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Raisin wrote:
bamamama wrote:

I do the same thing. I only take bones from family members, though. Remember, you're going to be boiling any germs off of them anyway!

Yes - as FF said, you boil the germs off anyway. When you think about it, there are probably more germs in the raw chicken to begin with and we eat that after it's cooked. Kosher chicken here is about $20 for a sm/med whole bird. I gotta get my money's worth Wink

hot mom

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 7:15 pm
I guess I will post my recipe here too. My soup is very clear, golden, very flavorful, and my family always wants doubles, and leftovers after shabbos. When I clean my pot there is zero soup leftover!

I use:

3-4 chicken bottoms and/or tops, no skin
1-2 large carrots, cut up
1 onion, sliced in half
1 green squash, cut up
1 large parsnip, cut up
1 Tbsp salt

into a soup net, I put:
3 cloves fresh garlic
1 bunch fresh dill (I use prechecked pkg)
1 bunch fresh parsley (I use prechecked pkg)

fill the pot with all ingredients then add in the water til 3/4 of the pot and turn flame to high. Cover.
Lower flame right before it boils so it won't boil over. Flame should now be a tiny flame. If any "foam" rises to top (it's actually protein caused from the high heat) skim it off. Allow it to cook overnight or 8-9 hours. Add water if it starts boiling out. The tiny flame should prevent it from boiling out but if it does, then flame is too high.

Friday morning, (your house will smell divine), turn flame off right when you get up from bed. Allow it to cool for 1-1 1/2 hours and then refrigerate the whole day til 30 mins before shabbos. Any fat at this point will congeal at the top and you can skim it off easily.
Now boil it up before shabbos.

What gives the amazing flavor is the FRESH dill and parsley. And of course tons of chicken and the parsnip give depth to the flavor. The long slow cooking brings out that chicken flavor that can't be replicated using consumme.

By the way, we don't waste all that chicken on the bone. We eat all of it, so literally the only thing that is left is the soup net and bones when I am ready to clean the pot. I leave the net in even once the soup is ready because it continues to add even more flavor when I reheat it over and over. (I end up reheating it 3 times: 30 mins before Shabbos, Motzei shabbos, and then Sunday night)!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics