Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Eye exam in glasses store or go to eye doc?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 22 2013, 11:25 am
Is the doctor at the optical store inferior to regular eye doc for a regular exam?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 22 2013, 11:59 am
Chances are the dr. in the store is an optometrist. Optometrists are generally fine, ask your pediatrician. If there's something else, like lazy eye going on, you would probably want to see an pediatric ophthalmologist. (On the plus side, this is probably covered by medical insurance.)

There are plenty of optometrists with independent practices too, not just ophthalmologists. You probably could use some IRL recommendations and again, I'd start with the pediatrician.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 22 2013, 1:07 pm
Anon because I'm in the field:

As long as the person doing the eye exams is a licensed optometrist OD, and not an optician going rogue, they are trained to do a full work up and can detect any diseases or problems, in addition to just prescribing glasses/contacts. If it is something they are uncomfortable dealing with, they will make a referral.

The problem lies in the fact the often in "retail" settings, the company hires the OD and dictates what they can do for each exam. Often, they don't allow bookings to be far enough apart to enable a full comprehensive dilated exam, which everyone needs, annually.

You may be better served by going to a private practice OD but they all range in their abilities and quality of care, just like any doctor. Some are more cautious and comprehensive and others try and get you in and out with a new rx and glasses.

There is no need to jump to an ophthalmologist. You will wait a long time for an appointment, and they are honestly surgeons. If you don't have a surgical or other major problem they don't have much time or interest for you.

bookie

Post Sun, Dec 22 2013, 1:19 pm
amother wrote:
Anon because I'm in the field:

As long as the person doing the eye exams is a licensed optometrist OD, and not an optician going rogue, they are trained to do a full work up and can detect any diseases or problems, in addition to just prescribing glasses/contacts. If it is something they are uncomfortable dealing with, they will make a referral.

The problem lies in the fact the often in "retail" settings, the company hires the OD and dictates what they can do for each exam. Often, they don't allow bookings to be far enough apart to enable a full comprehensive dilated exam, which everyone needs, annually.

You may be better served by going to a private practice OD but they all range in their abilities and quality of care, just like any doctor. Some are more cautious and comprehensive and others try and get you in and out with a new rx and glasses.

There is no need to jump to an ophthalmologist. You will wait a long time for an appointment, and they are honestly surgeons. If you don't have a surgical or other major problem they don't have much time or interest for you.

I have always used opthalmologists and have not found your last paragraph to be true at all. In fact most people I know use them too

Cookies n Cream

Post Sun, Dec 22 2013, 1:21 pm
I prefer ophthalmologists once I'm going for an exam already. I don't jnow where you're located but in Brooklyn/Manhattan I've gotten appointments in very reasonable amount of times.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics