Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Low-fat Diet Resources

amother

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 8:24 pm
I was just told this week by two different drs (pediatrician and ent) that my kids need to lose weight. The ENT specified a low-fat diet. Since I'm very overweight and the ENT told dh that he needs to lose 50 pounds, we are all going to be eating healthier. I'm looking for ideas of what to serve on this type of diet (low fat as opposed to low sugar or low carb or wtvr), esp because my son is a very picky eater. But also if there is a reputable website or helpful book or cookbook that can help direct me and give me ideas, that would be really helpful, then I can hopefully go it alone (no one has recommended a nutritionist, not sure that would be helpful). Please advise. TIA.

forever21

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 9:03 pm
enlitened kosher cooking is a cookbook with all lowfat recipes. just be prepared to buy ingredients that you prob wont have at home.

mandksima

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 3:32 am
Seriously, I would find a new doctor. There has been so much evidence lately showing that a lowfat lifestyle has only made people more obese. People don't avoid sugar and other harmful foods and they fill up on empty and bad carbs. Healthy fats are so important and if I heard a doctor recommend that for a whole family that didn't have a particular problem with digesting fat (gallbladder perhaps), I would think that doctor is old school and never had a weight problem of his own. It would be better to teach your family healthy eating habits and find out which foods help you lose weight and which inhibit you.

20-30 years ago, my doctors told me the same thing and way back then, when I started Atkins, they were flabbergasted that I lost weight when years of lowfat Weight Watchers never worked. Doctors just don't know sometimes and you have to do you own research.

I assume you picky child doesn't like vegetables and prefers carbs so your doctor said go lowfat because you could probably incorporate that. I don't think it will work longterm though and you can possibly be setting him up for adult failure as well if you don't try to convince him to make better choices today. Lowfat is the least satisfying diet out there and you will always feel unsatiated and like you are missing out. I would have asked the ENT why lowfat. Or take the matter into your own hands.

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 2:24 pm
I eat a low fat diet for digestive reasons. I find that through doing so, I have made a radical change in how I eat overall. I used to see milchigs as lasagna, cream sauce, baked ziti etc. Now milchig nights are essentially pareve dishes with a few sprinkles of cheese like pasta, tacos, eggs or soup.

We eat chicken for shabbos most weeks but will occasionally have ground meat. I take all the skin off the chicken which I had never done in the past. I dont miss it at all! I really don't like the lean ground beef so I will have the regular stuff much less often and consider it a splurge.

I had fallen off the wagon this past week or two and really really noticed how it effects me.

dimples

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 3:11 pm
I love skinnytaste.com she has great family friendly recipes. and all of the nutritional info is included in each recipe

mandksima

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 5:53 am
Here's an article that explains a lot about why good fats are so important as well as the quality of our food choices
good fats

freidasima

Post Sun, Dec 22 2013, 2:16 pm
I am not able to eat any fats so that is how I eat naturally. I also don't eat added sugars and any processed foods and there is a lot one can eat that is delicious, healthy, and that kids eat as well.

Foods - whole wheat toast with vegetable puree or fruit puree on top, try spreading organic apple sauce or putting cinnamon on the bread. Eggs. Low or no fat white cheeses, chicken without skin, tuna in water, and lots of baked vegetable latkes. Tasty vegetable sauces using lots of good spices, tomato sauces, stuffed vegetables, eggplants etc.

Snacks - dried fruit cakes using things like medjool dates and applesauce instead of sugar and oil or margarine/butter. a great snack is a piece of whole wheat toast spread with two medjool dates that have been cooked and made into a puree. Also real fruit.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 22 2013, 3:01 pm
Maybe you should be working with a nutritionist, at least in the beginning. Your health insurance might pay for it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking