Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Filter nessicary ?

chani4

Post Sun, Dec 22 2013, 11:16 pm
We are finally getting Internet in our home. Husband insists we need a filter. I don't really understand why. Can anyone explain what it does? And which are the best filter options?
Thanks!

chani4

Post Sun, Dec 22 2013, 11:17 pm
chani4 wrote:
We are finally getting Internet in our home. Husband insists we need a filter. I don't really understand why. Can anyone explain what it does? And which are the best filter options?
Thanks!

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 12:57 am
Get the filter.

I am no maven on types but apparently there's some organization called TAG that helps people get it set up. I just took a recommendation from a friend I trust but I think it would be a good idea to see what the group has to say.

mommyshani

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 11:51 am
Get a filter, even if you and dh know you won't end up on funny sites, as it blocks malware from where you least expect it. I got K-9, and occasionally it blocks sites I need (think Victoria's Secret or the like), but I know the password and can easily get over it if I need to. Also, you don't need your teenage kids, relative, babysitters, etc. from accessing unfiltered internet in your house.

syrima

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 12:45 pm
Yes. a filter is absolutely necessary.
If you have kids, consider a filter such as safeeyes which has separate usernames with different levels of access.

gamanit

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 12:48 pm
yes, as syrima said, if you have kids in the house safeeyes is very good.

hop613

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 12:59 pm
chani4 wrote:
Thanks!

A filter prevents inappropriate pictures from popping up due to pop ups or accidental websites. It also prevents the user from being able to access websites with inappropriate content. Many filters allow you to specify what to block so you can customize it. =

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 1:19 pm
Yes. Nowadays? even someone non Jewish with kids or teens needs a filter. Absolutely. It is regularly discussed by public school teachers

doctorima

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 1:26 pm
Yes, as everyone else has said, definitely install the filter, especially if DH is pushing for it. K9 is free and generally works great.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics