Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Shows like The Love Boat

amother

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 3:25 pm
I just found a few seasons of The Love Boat on youtube and have become hooked.

Does anyone know any other shows that are like that show?

DrMom

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 3:32 pm
Love American Style? (older show)

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 3:35 pm
????? Fantasy Island (original )
Ricardo Montelban and Herve Vilcheze

etky

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 4:17 pm
DrMom wrote:

Omg -I haven't thought of that show in like 35 years. It was old even when I was growing up in the 70's but yes, IIRC it follows that same formula.
We used to love Love Boat. The whole family would watch it together. I think that part of the appeal was observing the lifestyle on the boat back when those type of cruises were still somewhat of a novelty.
I didn't like Fantasy Island as much. There was something sinister about that pair.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 6:50 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

The two go hand in hand. We used to watch both of them one after the other.

Boss, zee plane, zee plane!!! Smile

etky

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 12:31 am
yo'ma wrote:
naturalmom5 wrote:

The two go hand in hand. We used to watch both of them one after the other.

Boss, zee plane, zee plane!!! Smile

So did we! But sometimes I would fall asleep over Fantasy Island which was after Love Boat.

grace413

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 1:17 am
Now I have the Love Boat theme song stuck in my head.

DrMom

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 1:59 am
etky wrote:
DrMom wrote:

Omg -I haven't thought of that show in like 35 years. It was old even when I was growing up in the 70's but yes, IIRC it follows that same formula.
We used to love Love Boat. The whole family would watch it together. I think that part of the appeal was observing the lifestyle on the boat back when those type of cruises were still somewhat of a novelty.
I didn't like Fantasy Island as much. There was something sinister about that pair.

It also served an important role (along with game shows - remember "The $25,000 Pyramid"?) in keeping B-list celebrities off the streets.

Now they have to do cheesy reality shows or "Dancing With the Stars," or they do outrageous things in public so they will get airtime.

Fantasy Island was sometimes scary. I remember some frightening episodes with creepy puppets or something. Love Boat was just cheesy. They were both pretty awful shows.

etky

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 3:24 am
They were indeed both very cheesy and trite.
What I find so disconcerting is that we didn't think so then.
Looking back, I can't believe that my parents - both serious intellectual types - actually had the patience and interest to watch this drivel with us kids.
Usually, when they watched TV it was Masterpiece Theater or for the most part just the news shows though I remember they did like some other dramas like The FBI and Space 1999 too.
Maybe they counted it as family time. IIRC these programs were on Motzei Shabbat and we would all gather in my parent's room where the color TV was (remember- this was the seventies) and watch together.
BTW I loved some of those game shows (which they never, ever watched) which I only got to see when I was home sick from school. My favorite was The Price is Right.

DrMom

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 3:43 am
I thought everyone knew it was drivel. A guilty pleasure, if you will. Smile

etky

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 4:03 am
DrMom wrote:
I thought everyone knew it was drivel. A guilty pleasure, if you will. Smile

Perhaps, but if you paid me money I don't think that now, as an adult, I'd be able to sit through an entire episode of either. Which is why I wonder what my parents saw in it. Maybe it was the cruise theme or maybe they were just less jaded then we are.
Then again I can't sit through 99.99% of what's on TV now, partly because it's junk but partly because I don't have the zitsfleisch or the interest so I don't even try.
The only show I've watched (by downloading) in the past 10 years is Downton Abbey which is my guilty pleasure and even that I don't always have patience for. And may I take this opportunity to remind people that the Xmas special is airing today in Britain. Which means it can be downloaded tomorrow!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics