Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Meatless Mondays
Previous  1  2

mosma

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 7:18 pm
QueenBee3 wrote:
Not so much cheese eggplant parm
with sauteed mushrooms in red wine
Mushroom pizza and regular cheese pizza for the kids.

Eggplant

Peel and slice eggplant, dip slices in egg a then italian breadcrumbs. Start layering with tomato sauce in a tin pan.
After about 3 layers or so, cover with not too much sauce and then add a small sprinkle of mozzerlla.
Then bake the whole thing covered at 350 until the eggplant is soft (about 45 minutes to an hour)

Slice mushrooms, sizzle it up with onions and then add some RED WINE, This makes a great topping to your eggplant parm. Very Filling!

Pizza- Purple cook books easy pizza recipe that uses apple juice. Excellent crust, kids think it tastes like Pizzeria Pizza!

Next meatless meal Im going to try is RA moms falafel balls. Im going to dip each falafel ball in PANKO then bake and see what happens!.

you put the eggplant in raw? you don't fry or bake it first? I want to try this (although with a lot more cheese) it sounds amazing and easy

Blue jay

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 7:26 pm
mosma wrote:
QueenBee3 wrote:
Not so much cheese eggplant parm
with sauteed mushrooms in red wine
Mushroom pizza and regular cheese pizza for the kids.

Eggplant

Peel and slice eggplant, dip slices in egg a then italian breadcrumbs. Start layering with tomato sauce in a tin pan.
After about 3 layers or so, cover with not too much sauce and then add a small sprinkle of mozzerlla.
Then bake the whole thing covered at 350 until the eggplant is soft (about 45 minutes to an hour)

Slice mushrooms, sizzle it up with onions and then add some RED WINE, This makes a great topping to your eggplant parm. Very Filling!

Pizza- Purple cook books easy pizza recipe that uses apple juice. Excellent crust, kids think it tastes like Pizzeria Pizza!

Next meatless meal Im going to try is RA moms falafel balls. Im going to dip each falafel ball in PANKO then bake and see what happens!.

you put the eggplant in raw? you don't fry or bake it first? I want to try this (although with a lot more cheese) it sounds amazing and easy

Yes it really works! I tried this recipe when I was too poofed to do all that pre baking or frying. Its really good, just be sure your eggplant is peeled. and stick a fork in the eggplant to make sure its soft so you know its done. And make sure you use enough sauce starting at the bottom of the pan, just dont use too much so that your eggplant is swimming in the sauce. Just a nice coating between layers.
Give it a try! Very Happy

Blue jay

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 7:27 pm
also the more cheese you add, between layers the better. Although It worked when I cut back on some of the cheese.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 8:04 pm
I usually do meatless Thursdays, so that Shabbos dinner being fleishig is special, and not just yet another night of chicken.

I used to make spinach calzones made with pizza dough but they were too time consuming, so I just made an open faced pizza with shredded fresh spinach sprinkled with mozzarella cheese, feta cheese, black pepper and dried basil/oregano/thyme.

Blue jay

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 8:20 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
I usually do meatless Thursdays, so that Shabbos dinner being fleishig is special, and not just yet another night of chicken.

I used to make spinach calzones made with pizza dough but they were too time consuming, so I just made an open faced pizza with shredded fresh spinach sprinkled with mozzarella cheese, feta cheese, black pepper and dried basil/oregano/thyme.

Feta cheese sounds great!

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 9:30 pm
I try to so meatless most days for both budget and health. Problem is most of the lovely ideas here my kids won't touch! Any picky child friendly menus??

a1mom

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 9:40 pm
we do breakfast for dinner, whole wheat pancakes, scrambled eggs and veggie sticks

also grilled cheese and butternut squash soup

farro one pot recipe from Smitten kitchen- with parmesean on top, side salad if I'm being really healthy

home made pizza - plain for kids, with veggies for adults

fish sticks and veggie sticks, noodles on the side.

lasagna once in a blue moon- I like it with veggies and with all the cheese it gets expensive

fish tacos

omelletes with roasted zucchini sticks on the side

baked sweet potatoes with ricotta and vegetable soup

for date night- Brie with baguttes, honey and jam and salad or soup

home made sushi if I have alot of time...

dr. pepper

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 10:07 pm
My week menu is usually meatless Monday and Wed. too!
So lasagna is a huge thriller here so I usually serve it once a week.
The other I alternate with tuna patties/ cottage cheese pancakes/ homeade pizza (bless those pizza makers)/ scrambled eggs/ penne ala vodka/ fettucni alfredo/ tuna wraps.
I usually serve a soup as well and either fresh veggies with a dip or greek salad...my kids love black olives Very Happy

Blue jay

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 11:31 pm
dr. pepper wrote:
My week menu is usually meatless Monday and Wed. too!
So lasagna is a huge thriller here so I usually serve it once a week.
The other I alternate with tuna patties/ cottage cheese pancakes/ homeade pizza (bless those pizza makers)/ scrambled eggs/ penne ala vodka/ fettucni alfredo/ tuna wraps.
I usually serve a soup as well and either fresh veggies with a dip or greek salad...my kids love black olives Very Happy

How do you make your fettucini alfredo? Always wanted to try making that...sounds good with tuna wraps or wrap sandwhich. MY kids love wraps, they call it moon bread.

wispalover

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 5:43 am
seeker wrote:
I try to so meatless most days for both budget and health. Problem is most of the lovely ideas here my kids won't touch! Any picky child friendly menus??

Yup, we are mostly vegetarian household. I cook dairy every night, sometime inc. friday.

I make the following:

Veggie hotdogs with roasted potatoes
rice with sauteed onions and toasted almond slivers
grilled cheese with tomato soup
lasagna and garlic bread (I do lasagna exactly like baked ziti- sauce, noodles, cheese and I make my own sauce)
pizza
cauliflower cheese
cheesy pasta (pasta with cheese mixed in)
onion soup with cheesey toasts
mac and cheese
onion quiche
mushroom quiche

Blue jay

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 5:20 pm
Success!

Crunchy Baked falafel balls

1 can of chickpeas drained
cumin, tumeric, garlic powder and onion powder to taste
1 egg
1 slice of frozen whole wheat bread
1 table spoon olive oil

Blend all the ingredients in food processor except for the eggs and oil
then mix in bowl with egg and oil

Make balls and roll the falafel ball in PANKO crumbs

Place on Tin tray in oven at 350 for half an hour.
Then turn it up to 400 for 20 minutes
Then shut off oven and let the falafel balls sit in the oven for a half an hour so they can dry out and become even crunchier!

My cooking temperature varies because I was also baking a challah at first. But Im sure if you bake those falafel balls for 1 and half hours on 350 you can achieve the same crunchiness.

The verdict: I liked it alot
MY dd loved it!
My boys are not really into falafel so they ate noodles instead
My dh really liked it
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus