Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Forgot to make a Bracha on Challah

Willow43

Post Fri, Dec 27 2013, 2:24 pm
I made challah really late last night and in my exhaustion I completely forgot to make the Bracha and "take" challah. Anything to do now?

SplitPea

Post Fri, Dec 27 2013, 2:30 pm
Willow43 wrote:
I made challah really late last night and in my exhaustion I completely forgot to make the Bracha and "take" challah. Anything to do now?

Put it all together in one kli (huge bowl, basket, clean garbage bag etc) and take now. My rav holds with a bracha. You literally pull a kaziet chunk of challa off a loaf)

For the record I am not a rav (duh lol) and don't paskin, but I think this is decently standard. Bit since this is imamother AYLOR.

SplitPea

Post Fri, Dec 27 2013, 2:38 pm
SplitPea wrote:
Willow43 wrote:

Put it all together in one kli (huge bowl, basket, clean garbage bag etc) and take now. My rav holds with a bracha. You literally pull a kaziet chunk of challa off a loaf)

For the record I am not a rav (duh lol) and don't paskin, but I think this is decently standard. Bit since this is imamother AYLOR.

Another note (again not paskining) as
I learned it without challa being taken one may not eat the bread. It's really a major thing.

granolamom

Post Sat, Dec 28 2013, 6:20 pm
SplitPea wrote:
SplitPea wrote:
Willow43 wrote:

I learned it without challa being taken one may not eat the bread. It's really a major thing.

I was told the same.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 29 2013, 9:49 pm
yup ~ you take challah from the already baked loaves ... no problemo

Marion

Post Sun, Dec 29 2013, 10:51 pm
Willow43 wrote:

Yes. You can take challah from a baked loaf. Ask your LOR exactly what the size of the "challah" needs to be, and whether it's considered shalem or not for lechem mishne.

UQT

Post Sun, Dec 29 2013, 11:43 pm
You know what's really fun? When you separate the piece, make the beracha and then somehow the piece lands up back in the bowl (usually when kids help). I needed to get 3 men and have them do hatras nedarim. Not my best memory.

kalsee

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 4:54 am
UQT wrote:
You know what's really fun? When you separate the piece, make the beracha and then somehow the piece lands up back in the bowl (usually when kids help). I needed to get 3 men and have them do hatras nedarim. Not my best memory.

hataras nedarim on what?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 9:28 am
SplitPea wrote:

This is true in E"Y where Hafrashat Challah is D'oraysah. In Chul, you can eat from it and do the Hafrasha later.

The practical application of this is that you can't do Hafrasha on Shabbos. So if you realize on Shabbos that you did not do Hafrasha, then in Chul you can eat from the Challah. After Shabbos, you gather the rest of the Challah, whatever is left, in a Kli, and do the Hafrasha.

In E"Y you would have to go borrow Challah from your neighbors......

shalhevet

Post Tue, Dec 31 2013, 4:38 am
kalsee wrote:
hataras nedarim on what?

UQT, please explain. I am so curious what hataras nedarim has to do with this. מה ענין שמיטה אצל הר סיני?

hila

Post Tue, Dec 31 2013, 4:46 am
Chayalle wrote:
This is true in E"Y where Hafrashat Challah is D'oraysah. In Chul, you can eat from it and do the Hafrasha later.

The practical application of this is that you can't do Hafrasha on Shabbos. So if you realize on Shabbos that you did not do Hafrasha, then in Chul you can eat from the Challah. After Shabbos, you gather the rest of the Challah, whatever is left, in a Kli, and do the Hafrasha.

In E"Y you would have to go borrow Challah from your neighbors......

Happened to us. We had visitors and sat down to make hamotsi - after washing on friday night. I suddenly had a "oh NO" moment. I had left my dd (about 20 yrs old) to take challa and braid on thursday night while I went out. I suddenly realised that I had not seen the burned pice on the stove when I came back. So I made a hafsaka - and asked my dd "did you take challa?" She went white and then red Sad

OOPS - If ound some pitot and my ds ran over the road to the Rav, who confirmed what I thought I had learned, no eating the challa ! BH there was other food. We lived to tell the tale Smile

I learned to ask a lot earlier. And not rely on anyone Wink We are in EY

UQT

Post Tue, Dec 31 2013, 8:22 pm
kalsee wrote:
hataras nedarim on what?

By separating the challah and making a bracha it was a 'promise' to not eat that bread and keep it holy. However because it got thrown in I had to 'break' that promise. I then separated again.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 2:49 am
UQT wrote:
By separating the challah and making a bracha it was a 'promise' to not eat that bread and keep it holy. However because it got thrown in I had to 'break' that promise. I then separated again.

I just don't understand. When you take challa, you change the status of that challa to an issur. A rav told you this? Can you ask him for his source if you have the chance to talk to him again?

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 5:25 am
shalhevet wrote:
I just don't understand. When you take challa, you change the status of that challa to an issur. A rav told you this? Can you ask him for his source if you have the chance to talk to him again?
I have heard this as well.
It happened to a friend - she had taken challa with a brocha, but as she was finishing up shaping she suddenly realised that she had no idea where the 'challa' was. I can't remember the details, but her hubby and two neighbours came to make a Beis Din.

octopus

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 7:01 am
I have also heard of hataras naddarim for taking challah at a later time. the best thing to do is AYLOR and ask the shailah. meantime stick your challos in the freezer so that they stay fresh!

goodmorning

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 9:45 am
shalhevet wrote:

When you separate challah, you are in essence vowing that the challah is assur to you as hekdesh. That "vow" can be annulled if you have charata.

Rema, YD 323:1
Quote:

ואם חזרה ונתערבה בעיסה ואין ק"א לבטלה אם לא אכל העיסה ישאל לחכם עליה ויתיר לו כנדר דנשאלין על ההקדשות ויחזור ויטול חלה אחרת (תשובת מיימוני סוף הלכות זרעים וב"ה בשם א"ח)

rough translation:
Quote:
and if the challah got mixed back into the dough and there was not enough dough -- 101 times the amount of the challah -- to nullify it, she should ask about the matter to a chacham, and he will nullify it like a vow that we ask about the consecration, and then return return and take another piece of dough as challah.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen