Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
How much does meat cost in Yerushalayim?

sunflower919

Post Thu, Jan 02 2014, 9:51 am
I was talking to a friend the other day, and she told me she takes meat with her when she goes to visit her daughter because meat is so expensive. Is meat expensive enough to go through the hassle of bringing it from America? Or is her daughter not stepping into the more affordable butcher stores?

theoneandonly

Post Thu, Jan 02 2014, 10:57 am
It's generally more expensive and much lower quality. Many people bring in meat from America whenever they can.

smss

Post Thu, Jan 02 2014, 3:00 pm
depends on a lot of things, like where you buy it and what hechsherim you eat.

but there are ways to get it cheaply- for example, if you do a bulk order on sale you can get brisket for 30nis/kilo (about $4/lb), whole chickens for 20nis/kilo (about $2.50/lb), etc... I think those are pretty reasonable prices but I don't really have what to compare it to.

Marz613

Post Thu, Jan 02 2014, 4:19 pm
it's expensive and the quality does not compare. at all!!!

Shuly

Post Thu, Jan 02 2014, 4:27 pm
I never brought in meat because I know too many people whose luggage was lost and the meat spoiled and ruined all their clothing.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Jan 02 2014, 4:45 pm
It's expensive like everything else here (but I don't think it's that much more than in America - it's just expensive for us)

It's a nice treat, but honestly, how much can you bring in your one suitcase (you need to bring clothes for yourself too)?

When my mother visits, it's really not practical for her to bring meat but she'll go to the butcher here and buy me some "treats" like corned beef, tongue, real steak (not the cheap ones that take forever to chew)... (The tongue and corned beef she even cooks for me since they're not things I usually make) - There's better quality meat here too. It just costs a lot

It doesn't pay to pay an extra $100 for an extra suitcase for meat (that runs the risk of it defrosting and dripping "blood" all over your suitcase and the conveyer belt) - My son once brought me back from the States a block of American cheese. The suitcase got delayed for a day and we had to throw out the cheese (but it was the summer)

Pay for these treats when you're here. It's not so so much and it's really not worth bringing. - That's what I think

Tamiri

Post Fri, Jan 03 2014, 3:48 am
I find it's actually cheaper here. The daughter is probably poor, so everything looks expensive. And yes, it's not the same quality. Meat in Israel (either locally grown or imported from South America) is far leaner than U.S. meat.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jan 03 2014, 4:02 am
theoneandonly wrote:
It's generally more expensive and much lower quality. Many people bring in meat from America whenever they can.
Really? I know not even one person who does this. I know one lady who was visiting grandchildren in america and brought a turkey back with her, but on a regular basis?
(do you live here to know this?)

theoneandonly

Post Fri, Jan 03 2014, 4:42 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Really? I know not even one person who does this. I know one lady who was visiting grandchildren in america and brought a turkey back with her, but on a regular basis?
(do you live here to know this?)

Yup I live in Yerushalayim and a bunch of my friends/neighbors bring meat back with them whenever they go to America to visit.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jan 03 2014, 4:44 am
theoneandonly wrote:
Yup I live in Yerushalayim and a bunch of my friends/neighbors bring meat back with them whenever they go to America to visit.
interesting. I have never heard of such a thing. years ago, like more than 20, I heard of people bringing cheese, but that was just a few times.
ok, to each their own.
maybe its because we dont eat so much meat its not such an expense by us.

grace413

Post Fri, Jan 03 2014, 4:46 am
My DH used to bring meat, back in the day when 2 bags were allowed but he got tired of it. We survive.

Hint: the cheapest cut of meat will be yummy if it's slow cooked with liquid.

Heyaaa

Post Fri, Jan 03 2014, 6:27 am
I used to think the quality was inferior but I recently (within the past month) learned how to cook the meat here and it comes out perfect every time. Basically you need to cook it low and sloooooowwww (for much longer than I would cook it for in the states). I do it in a pot on the stove for 3 hours. Then in the oven for about 5 hours at 225F. It's so soft and it actually melts in your mouth. It could be that I started buying more expensive stuff though. I buy Brisket (#3) either from Hackers or Maadanei Habira, and last week I did entrecote for almost 10 hours in a crockpot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics