Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Making Gefilte Fish From Salmon Fillets

ectomorph

Post Sat, Jan 04 2014, 9:11 pm
Anybody know how to make gefilte fish out of fresh salmon?
(it's already been filleted)
I have about 1.5-2 lbs of salmon fillets from salmon that's of slightly lower quality than we like to eat.

ectomorph

Post Sat, Jan 04 2014, 9:12 pm
oops wrong forum

ectomorph

Post Sat, Jan 04 2014, 9:15 pm
oops wrong forum

sequoia

Post Sat, Jan 04 2014, 9:19 pm
Hey, whatever floats your boat Smile

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Jan 04 2014, 9:20 pm
Best intimacy topic ever Smile

penguin

Post Sat, Jan 04 2014, 9:44 pm
I was just going to say the same thing..

zaq

Post Sat, Jan 04 2014, 9:48 pm
Yeah...I thought op was using a metaphor for a dh who takes the perfect romantic setting and turns it to mud, which is what I would consider it if someone took a salmon fillet (what does that go for, around $18-20 a pound?) and made gefilte fish out of it.

WHY in the world would anyone waste a beautiful slab of salmon that way? They must be very, very rich; very, very spoiled; or the owners of salmon farm.

zaq

Post Sat, Jan 04 2014, 9:49 pm
I think I've just added a new phrase to my vocabulary. When I want to say the opposite of "making a silk purse out of a sow's ear" I'll say "Making gefilte fish out of salmon fillet".

ectomorph

Post Sat, Jan 04 2014, 10:35 pm
zaq wrote:
Yeah...I thought op was using a metaphor for a dh who takes the perfect romantic setting and turns it to mud, which is what I would consider it if someone took a salmon fillet (what does that go for, around $18-20 a pound?) and made gefilte fish out of it.

WHY in the world would anyone waste a beautiful slab of salmon that way? They must be very, very rich; very, very spoiled; or the owners of salmon farm.

LOL

Firstly, this is cheap salmon, $5 a pound.

Secondly, We live OOT and gefilte fish is inconvenient and expensive to buy.

Thirdly, it really isn't great salmon. We made lox out of it. It was terrible lox. We made baked fish out of it. It was terrible fish. Now we'd like to try gefilte fish, where it doesn't matter as much the actual fish.

ectomorph

Post Sat, Jan 04 2014, 10:36 pm
zaq wrote:
I think I've just added a new phrase to my vocabulary. When I want to say the opposite of "making a silk purse out of a sow's ear" I'll say "Making gefilte fish out of salmon fillet".

lol, but really.
Please read my above post. I really need a good recipe.

ectomorph

Post Sat, Jan 04 2014, 10:40 pm
I'm sorry for starting it in the wrong forum, but really. Don't assume people are spoiled for using $5/lb salmon in gefilte fish.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 7:09 am
http://www.joyofkosher.com/rec.....sh-2/

I never made it, but this was on top of the page when I googled it. There were others also.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 9:53 am
yo'ma wrote:
http://www.joyofkosher.com/recipes/salmon-gefilte-fish-2/

I never made it, but this was on top of the page when I googled it. There were others also.

Yes, I looked at them.

Problem is the recipe calls for 2.2-2.5 lbs. I don't have that much.

Also, I really need a basic recipe, because I don't know how to grind salmon. I have a regular food processor and no S blade.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 10:41 am
ectomorph wrote:
Also, I really need a basic recipe, because I don't know how to grind salmon. I have a regular food processor and no S blade.

Don't make the whole recipe if you don't have as much as it calls for. What do you mean a regular food processor and no s blade? Isn't that part of a food processor, a blade for the bowl and another on the top for shredding?

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 6:11 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Don't make the whole recipe if you don't have as much as it calls for. What do you mean a regular food processor and no s blade? Isn't that part of a food processor, a blade for the bowl and another on the top for shredding?

Oh, that's an S blade? Thank you so much.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics