Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Vacht Nacht

amother

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 1:19 pm
Is this the thing the night before the bris?

I only ask because I saw pictures of what looked like a gorgeous engagement party (think a 2 man violinist band, fully catered carving stations, chicken stands, salads, desserts etc), but when I asked what the event was they said a "Vacht Nacht". I was too embarassed to ask what it was, but I thought it was the night before the bris.

Is it done in some circles to make a fully catered event with music and stuff for a vacht nacht?

(I am anon because this event just happened, I am not jusging or jealous. just curious if I understand correctly)

busydev

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 1:24 pm
it is and from my understanding some chassidish circles make a huge event for it.

in my circles some kids come, say shema and get a pekel.

tho for both my boys, my brothers did it and that was all. no pekelach. (one was motzei shabbos/motzei y"k so wouldnt have a good turnout and the other we forgot till late to even think about it.) I dont remember there ever being any sort of official thing for my brothers either tho.

Cookie Monster

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 1:47 pm
It is done in Chassidish circles but not on the scale of the event you are describing. Most people serve kugel, cake, and maybe some hot foods. Some but not many people go over the top, which explains the pictures you saw.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 1:51 pm
We are chassidish and ours was very nice but not as much as violinists. More like a milchige kiddush in shul with cheese cakes and miniatures and cheese blintzes etc.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 1:57 pm
Violonists lol

Around me many people just skip it, or do some cold food, very casual.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics