Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
No fail potato kugel
1  2  Next

be good

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 1:33 pm
I cant seem to get potato kugel right. some poeple make it soo good, mine is never soft on the inside with a crunchy crust... does anyone have an AMAZING recipe? good shabbos!!

canadamom

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 1:39 pm
I do this recipe every week and it's yum!
12 idaho potatos
1 onion
10 eggs

crack and mix 10 eggs in a bowl
in food processor on the knife blade (s blade) chop onion
switch blade to stringy attachment
do potatos and then mix with eggs
add 1 Tbsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper

coat 9x13 pan with oil, heat it up in oven, when sizzeling add kugel mixture. turn oven to 400 degrees, bake for 1/2 hour then lower to 350 and bake for an hour

Fox

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 1:59 pm
I used to make the worst potato kugels in the world; in fact, mine were so bad that my family preferred those Streit's or Manishewitz mixes.

Thanks to BPMom, I can now hold my head up high:

6-8 peeled potatoes
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 onion
5 eggs

Preheat oven to 450 degrees fahrenheit and place a 9" x 13" pan in the oven to preheat, as well. Use a tablespoon of oil in the pan or spray with non-stick cooking spray.

Peel potatoes and rest in cold water to avoid discoloration.

Use a blender to liquify and mix the eggs, oil, salt, and onion. Pour into a bowl and set aside.

Process the potatoes using a food processor shredding attachment or even a blender. Experiment to find the texture you like best -- I've used several devices depending on what was available or convenient.

Mix potatoes quickly with egg mixture.

Open oven and pour the mixture into the preheated pan. It will sizzle slightly. Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until nicely browned.

This recipe is remarkably forgiving. The first time I made it, I didn't have a food processor, so I used my blender on the potatoes. Although they were more "chunky" than "grated", the kugel was still delicious. You can vary the ratio of potatoes to eggs to suit your preferences, too, and it's still delicious.

Good luck, and a huge thank you to BPMom!

Koshermomma

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 5:22 pm
WOW Canadamom...no oil at all?!! I have to try this.....how much oil do you use to coat the 9X13 pan? Can I just use Pam? TIA

canadamom

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 5:32 pm
To coat the pan I put in 1/4 cup of oil, but I make sure it's sizzeling before I pour the kugel batter in

Koshermomma

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 9:02 pm
Sounds really easy - I'll try it for Shabbos this week- THANKS!

birdstar

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 10:33 pm
Hey Canadamom,
The recipe sounds delicious and perfect for Shabbat tomorrow. I got all the ingredients and DH wanted Latkes and I refused to make them since its not Chanukah yet.

avigayil

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 10:50 pm
I will try this. Potato kugel is my favorite shabbos dish but it is one I have the hardest time making!

chillax

Post Fri, Dec 19 2008, 8:44 am
Hi,
I had a question.
You guys mentioned "Idaho" potatoes or just "potatoes". I use yukon gold, would it make a difference? (as far as taste, consistency, number of potatoes)
For some reason I'm think Idaho potatoes are much bigger?
TIA

chillax

Post Fri, Dec 19 2008, 9:16 am
Anyone know?
OR does anyone have a recipe for potato kugel that uses yukon golds?

leel

Post Fri, Dec 19 2008, 9:51 am
I use yukon gold for the traditional potato kugel recipe from kosher by design- it comes out really good

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 3:42 pm
Fox wrote:
I used to make the worst potato kugels in the world; in fact, mine were so bad that my family preferred those Streit's or Manishewitz mixes.

6-8 peeled potatoes
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 onion
5 eggs

Preheat oven to 450 degrees fahrenheit and place a 9" x 13" pan in the oven to preheat, as well. Use a tablespoon of oil in the pan or spray with non-stick cooking spray.

Use a blender to liquify and mix the eggs, oil, salt, and onion. Pour into a bowl and set aside.

Process the potatoes using a food processor shredding attachment or even a blender. Experiment to find the texture you like best -- I've used several devices depending on what was available or convenient.

Open oven and pour the mixture into the preheated pan. It will sizzle slightly. Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until nicely browned.

This recipe is remarkably forgiving. The first time I made it, I didn't have a food processor, so I used my blender on the potatoes. Although they were more "chunky" than "grated", the kugel was still delicious. You can vary the ratio of potatoes to eggs to suit your preferences, too, and it's still delicious.

I just made these. Did I make a mistake? There seems to be too much liquid.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 3:43 pm
Fox wrote:

6-8 peeled potatoes
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 onion
5 eggs

I just made these. Did I make a mistake? There seems to be too much liquid.

Willow43

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 4:43 pm
I make my kugel in an 8x8 glass pyrex every week and its hugely complimented and no fail so I figured id share.

I use 5 large or 6 medium potatoes
3 eggs
1 large onion and blend all these three together. I dont have a decent food processor and use a very small blender but it works fine. I tried by hand and it didnt come out as good.

once thats all mixed I add salt (about 2T I would think, but I dont have the exact measurements) 4-5 dashes of pepper, 2-3 dashes of onion powder (also approx) and about a 1/4 cup of oil.

I bake on 350 for about 1.5 hours. I found when I bake it on higher temps the outside gets too crispy and the inside doesnt get cooked enough.

Good luck!

abaker

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 4:52 pm
birdstar wrote:
Hey Canadamom,
The recipe sounds delicious and perfect for Shabbat tomorrow. I got all the ingredients and DH wanted Latkes and I refused to make them since its not Chanukah yet.

lol my dh also requested latkes...I said in order to do that someone needs to come babysit (latkes are too time consuming)

canadamom...10 eggs!?

Mevater

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 1:56 pm
Ive been using Yukon Gold potatoes (highly recommended on another thread), and I get a nice color every week that doesnt discolor with time. That used to be a problem with other potatoes.

Now Im looking for that crispy on the outside, wiggly on the inside texture, thats no fail.

Somehow the Yukon Gold potatoes give the kugel a different flavor, maybe more like cooked potatoes/Chremslech. Maybe Ill try mixing Yukon and Idaho potatoes.

Any recipe that lots of people who have tried many recipes, prefer because its no fail and crispy on the outside and wiggly but not raw, on the inside?

queenert

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 2:25 pm
Second vote for the KBD one. Yum!

Teomima

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 2:47 pm
Third the kbd, though I eyeball the amount of potatoes (and use whatever kind we have here in Israel, not sure what they're called or if they even have a special name). I use slightly less salt and far less pepper than the recipe calls for, but basically it's exactly what you're asking for: no fail, crispy on the outside, cooked and creamy on the inside. Never met anyone who doesn't love my kugel Very Happy

Mevater

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 6:28 pm
Is this the KBD Potato Kugel recipe everyone is raving about?

http://www.tastebook.com/recip.....Kugel

Traditional Potato Kugel
Servings:
Serves 12

1/2 C. vegetable oil
8 medium potatoes
2 medium onions, quartered
1 Tbsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
2 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
5 large eggs, whisked
Save a shopping List
Directions

Preheat oven to 425°F. Fill 9x13-inch pan with oil, then set aside.
Peel potatoes. Place into bowl of ice water.
Use food processor to finely chop onions. Remove.
Use food processor on potatoes until almost smooth. Remove, and add to onions.
Add salt, pepper and sugar. Stir, and then add eggs.
Place pan in oven for a few minutes, until oil starts to sizzle. Remove, and pour some oil into potato mixture. Stir, and then pour potato mixture back into pan.
Cook, uncovered, for 1 hour.
Source:"Kosher by Design", p. 217

sky

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 7:33 pm
I've been making fox's kugel almost every week since she posted and it is excellent. There is a lot of liquid for the potatoes - but it comes out excellent.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus