Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Soup

acemom

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 2:13 pm
It is freezing today so I would like to make soup. Problem is I haven't thought about this yesterday so I don't have much in terms of ingredients. Here is what I do have:

One large zuchinni
a few potatoes
1 yam
onions
1 red pepper
small cans of mushrooms
canned chick peas
dry chick peas

nothing else that I can think of putting into a soup....

Any recipe suggestions? Rolling Eyes

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 2:23 pm
If you have nice sized onions make an onion soup- sauté them in butter or oil for at least an hour, then add a bit of sugar to caramelize, then some flour to make a roux. Once it's combined add water, salt, some onion soup mix, pepper to taste and cook for around half an hour after bringing to a boil. The longer you cook the better. Serve with croutons and cheese if its a dairy meal.

For a cream soup add your zucchini and potatoes to the the sautéed onions and let them sauté together for like twenty minutes. Then add water to cover and some chicken consommé and the spices if your choice. Bring to a boil and simmer for as long as possible, then blend with an immersion blender. If you like a chunkier soup remove a cup of potato and zucchini chunks before blending, and add after you finish.
Enjoy!

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 2:25 pm
Oh and you can definitely add the yam to your cream soup too- add it with the potatoes.

acemom

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 2:46 pm
Thanks for replying. I forgot to say that I don't have any soup mixes either....

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 2:49 pm
acemom wrote:
Thanks for replying. I forgot to say that I don't have any soup mixes either....

Let the onions fry a bit for maximum flavor. Salt, pepper, if you want to get daring maybe some cumin, onion powder...see what you have and add a little at a time toward the end.

AlwaysThinking

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 2:54 pm
Basically what everyone else said:

I'd fry the onions.

Add the One large zuchinni, a few potatoes, 1 yam.
Cover with water, boil until veggies are soft, season with salt and pepper, maybe add some cumin like PinkFridge said.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 2:57 pm
I'm actually trying not to use soup mixes these days either- they do make for a great fix, though. Yesterday I made a zucchini soup and added a TBSP salt, TSP paprika, and like 1/4 TSP each of coarsely ground black pepper and red pepper flakes. It came out spicy and delicious. You can try that with the cream soup. To an onion soup try salt, pepper and garlic powder.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 5:15 pm
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....+soup

my favorite soup ... just made some yesterday

the nice thing is you can add what you like or have on hand or is on sale or is beginning to get too soft for eating ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics