Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Which oil is best for...
Previous  1  2

Barbara

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 11:56 am
purpleink wrote:
another anti-canola oil supporter. Try refined coconut oil- it has no taste and is much better for you. In fact, it can be used as a butter/margarine substitute and is great for high heat cooking.

Just want to emphasize -- REFINED coconut oil for cooking. Unrefined coconut oil has a VERY low smoking point -- about 350 degrees, and therefore should not be used in high heat cooking.

In the refining process, coconut oil has to be purified with bleaching clays because contaminants arise during the drying process. High heat is then used to deodorize the coconut oil to remove its distinctive odor and flavor. Sodium hydroxide is often added to prolong its shelf life. To obtain the most oil, some brands use chemical solvents to extract as much oil as possible from the meat. AIUI, this is exactly what some people object to with respect to canola oil, so I'm not going to pretend to understand why its better than canola oil. But either way, whatever you believe, make sure any refined coconut oil you use is NOT hydrogenated; some are.

Some people believe that unrefined coconut oil is very healthful. I cannot get on that band wagon for the simple reason that I hate the taste of it, although I do occasionally use it when other flavors will completely overwhelm it.

purpleink

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 1:13 pm
Exactly! It helps stiffen the mixture and keeps it together, making it more like store bought. Or you can melt coconut oil and mix with olive oil to get a looser texture

purpleink

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 1:18 pm
Barbara, the refining process varies greatly depending pn the brand. Coconut oil is wonderful and healthful. Its great for the skin and is a super immune booster.tropical traditions is the best brand I have found.

purpleink

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 1:29 pm
And I have yet to see a food-grade hydrogenated coconut oil on the market so dont let that stop you from using it.

Barbara

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 2:00 pm
purpleink wrote:
And I have yet to see a food-grade hydrogenated coconut oil on the market so dont let that stop you from using it.

Hydrogenated coconut oil is what makes movie theater popcorn so bad for you, so its clearly out there.

My understanding is that the usual refining process hydrogenates coconut oil. Apparently, there are other available processes that may not hydrogenate the oil. But its not all of them. From Food Renegade, in a pro-coconut oil article:

Quote:
Things to watch out for: not all refined coconut oils are alike! Most are refined using a chemical distillation process dependent on lye or other harsh solvents, or they’re made from the rancid oil byproducts leftover from creating dessicated (dry) coconut flakes. Sadly, these are refined, bleached, and deodorized in an effort to create a palatable product that can be sold to consumers. Many coconut oils are even hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated! (Avoid these at all costs as the hydrogenation process creates synthetic trans-fats.) However, there are some quality, non-hydrogenated refined coconut oils available that are refined using a natural, chemical-free cleaning process (usually involving steam and/or diatomaceous earth).

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 3:10 pm
I am a proud canola user!!! We use that for cooking and evoo for salads and other stuff.

red sea

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 3:35 pm
I like sunflower oil.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 5:00 pm
purpleink wrote:
Barbara, the refining process varies greatly depending pn the brand. Coconut oil is wonderful and healthful. Its great for the skin and is a super immune booster.tropical traditions is the best brand I have found.

I called 3 kashrus organizations about tropical traditions and was told it is not usable because it does not have a hechsher...which one said its ok. I was told I cant believe the company that they only use equipment for coconut products. They confirmed that in their experiences the machinery is often used to process animal fats even if they say its not.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 10:12 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I am a proud canola user!!! We use that for cooking and evoo for salads and other stuff.

Same here!!!

nylon

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 9:25 am
I can't imagine coconut oil mayo. How would you drizzle the oil in, anyway?

The problem with extra virgin olive oil is not just taste. Italian cooks do not usually make an all-olive oil mayonnaise because it has a reputation for breaking--I can't remember exactly which book I read this in, but it was a very reputable Italian cookbook. (Also, if your olive oil has a greenish tinge--as some of my favorite oils do--you will have a really unappealing greenish mayonnaise.)

The flavor of olive oil in mayonnaise can be excellent, but cut it with a milder oil. As well as safflower, grapeseed is a good choice. I actually like to use 1/4 - 1/2 high quality olive oil and then 1/2 - 3/4 grapeseed or safflower. Grapeseed makes a very clean, nice textured mayonnaise, but it is expensive.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 11 2014, 7:16 pm
http://www.eat-real-food-paleo......html
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking