Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How to legally evict non-paying tenant?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 9:26 pm
granolamom wrote:
you have managed to evict non paying tenants in NYC in just three months?
my dh's experience was very different (he managed a number of residential buildings in manhattan, brooklyn and queens). tenants reschedule court dates. tenants send in letters stating various hardships. or they pay a small fraction of what they owe and promise to pay on the new schedule which still leaves the landlord at a loss. and then they stop paying again. so eviction process begins again. legal fees start to add up and after they finally do get served with eviction (sometimes a year later) you're still out the money they owe plus all those legal fees.

by the way, I think you can also evict tenants in NYC if they are running crack dens in their apartments, or otherwise breaking the law with the space. like subletting rent stabilized apartments that are leased to their long-gone grandmothers.

SOME. Others take more and more months for the reasons you describe. But a non-paying tenant is basically the only tenant you can remove (unless, like you said, there is a drug den)

smilingmom

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 10:59 pm
amother wrote:
Not true. I am a landlord in NYC. one late payment, the eviction notice gets sent out. month two, notice, month three, file with court. If tenant cannot pay back rent, judge orders to evict. THREE months.

Non-payment of rent is the only way to get rid of non-paying tenants in legally rented NYC apartments.

(And the only way, no matter how wretched or law-breaking or harassing or loud they may be.)

Please PM me, with your track record, I have about a dozen people that will hire you.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics