Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
I want a YELLOW chicken soup. Turmeric is the answer??
Previous  1  2

IRock

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 7:08 pm
Aside from using chicken, add turkey (necks, wings, or drum stick). Besides for the color, it'll enhance the flavor tremendously.

henb

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 2:31 am
I always heard they used onion skins...

AlwaysThinking

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 3:10 am
I find that using lots of carrots and sweet potatoes, as well as chicken bones and wings, gives the soup a golden color. Not too much water, only to cover. Either I cook it for a really long time, 6 or 7 hours, or for an hour in the pressure cooker.

It's always a great color, and goes even darker by Fri. night, when it's been on the hotplate for a few hours. I leave in lots of carrots, which is probably why it continues to darken.

I imagine the restaurants actually use soup mix or coloring though, because any restaurants I've been to have served chicken soup that doesn't taste quite natural. Although they also add a LOT of chicken, so that probably also helps.

etky

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 4:04 am
smss wrote:
it's also supposed to be great for the immune system. I keep trying to add it to stuff, but I find that even when I use a very small amount I still taste it and I don't like the taste so much....

Turmeric has a very distinctive taste that can easily overwhelm a dish. I use it often in my cooking but have never tried it in chicken soup. Does it impart a taste to the soup or only the color?. I use seasoning like celery leaves, parsley, black peppercorns, bay leaves and allspice berries and sometimes dill. Wouldn't the turmetic clash with this?

returnedtothetree

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 5:17 am
We put in curry powder its our secret ingredient makes a lovelt colour and enhances flavour

anuta

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 9:54 am
I add an onion with a peel (sliced in half) then take it out when the soup is done (my grandma taught me to do it). I also am generous with chicken and cook for a long time, add a carrot too - sliced in half or quarters, and chop it in smaller pieces when the soup is ready and return it to the soup.

You can add extra onion peel for more color. It is a natural colorant, do you know ppl color eggs with it?

saralem

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 1:56 pm
I use a block of frozen butternut squash puree. Gorgeous color and you don't taste it. I also like lots of vegetables in the soup, and don't understand how anyone would prefer "clear" chicken soup, even though that's how my mother always made it. To each his own...

smiledr

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 7:15 pm
My mother uses tumeric for yellow color. You don't need a lot for color so it won't overwhelm the taste.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics