Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Mishpacha Article

rainbow dash

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 3:20 pm
This weeks Mispacha has an article about a couple who is pregnant with twin girls and they have to go to Belgium for medical help cause the drs in Israel couldn't help them with TTTF. Its a lovely story but im quite upset. Now, I don't know what year this happened and where in Belgium but in the story it says that because they were becoming more religious she didnt know the laws of katsrutt and therefore didnt eat anything from the hospital. So for 4 or 5 days shes ate nothing.She even collapsed.Later on when everything was fine the hospital moved them to a hotel and some how a guy (religious jew) that they dont know drove up to them at the hotel and said that he had come to pick them up and take them to a kosher hotel.

My problem with this story is that it negatively portrays that when you come to Belgium that there is no kosher food. Bh in at least 5 major hospitals in Belgium there is a bikor cholim room with food etc. In Lerven there is even a Bikor Cholim house. When someone is hospitalized there is 2 organizations that send hot food everyday to your room.

I dont understand how someone could not eat for 5 days when expecting twins (ive had twins so I know its hard) and not at least mention to the hospital staff that they only eat kosher. Bh the drs here know that there is a big Jewish community and they could of put them in touch with anyone and everything would be organized with just one phone call.

Someone must of known that they where there cause someone sent that guy to pick them at the non kosher hotel and took them to the kosher one.

As I said I dont know which part of Belgium this was and when.

BTW I wrote a letter to Mispacha. We shall wait and see.

sarahd

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 3:39 pm
Maybe it was one of those stories where "names and all identifying details have been changed" and it didn't actually take place in Belgium?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 3:44 pm
Maybe it was out of town, in a part with few Jews. Or location was changed.

rainbow dash

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 3:47 pm
WOW didnt think of that. But the article doesn't mention that name and places were changed.

Heyaaa

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 5:39 pm
That's a really sketchy story. She didn't eat for five days whilst pregnant with twins and all that happened is she collapsed?

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 7:58 pm
Heyaaa wrote:
That's a really sketchy story. She didn't eat for five days whilst pregnant with twins and all that happened is she collapsed?

My sentiments exactly. Was this presented as a true story or as a work of fiction? If a "true" story, it's still possible that the author embellished the facts in the interests of making the story more dramatic. If a pregnant patient refused to eat, let alone a high-risk pregnant patient, the attending physician would have put her on intravenous. Oh, right--intravenous! No WONDER both she and her babies were able to survive with no food for five days. Rolling Eyes

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Jan 02 2014, 5:16 pm
Got a reply. I wonder if they will print it.

Thanks for writing. Tami Ben Yishai knew little about the frum community and even less about hilchos kashrus when she went to Belgium for medical treatment. Had she known hilchos kashrush she would have eaten fruits, vegetables, nuts, and anything with a hechsher. Had she knows about the frum community she could have contacted the local Bikur Cholim. But she was at the beginning of her journey to Yiddeshkeit and was clueless. “Shmaya” came entirely unexpectedly – that’s what makes that aspect of the story so incredible.

Thanks for your kind word about our magazine. We hope you continue to enjoy it.

kol tuv,

Bassi Gruen

Managing Editor

Family First

rainbow dash

Post Wed, Jan 15 2014, 6:25 pm
My friend just told me ,though I haven't seen it yet, that they printed my letter in this weeks family first. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room