Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Save $$ don't shampoo hair
1  2  Next

willow

Post Wed, Jan 15 2014, 11:49 am
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/......html

willow

Post Wed, Jan 15 2014, 11:50 am
http://littleowlcrunchymomma.b......html

Barbara

Post Wed, Jan 15 2014, 12:01 pm
No thanks.

willow

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 10:19 am
Lol I can not imagine doing it either. I did think it was interesting and I am going to try to do the apple cider vinegar a few times.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 11:53 am
I've put apple cider vinegar in my hair when there were lice scares.
But wow, I'm just imagining what I'm gonna buy a year from now with all the savings from the 79 cent VO5 shampoos we won't be buying.....

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 1:38 pm
actually, I can believe this working well. I have stopped washing my hair more than once a week and it looks healthier than it ever has. and this is with covering it most of the time. my friends ask me how mine is so nice and theirs is so damaged. I do think shampoo damages hair to a certain degree. it certainly dries it out. I think I'll try the vinegar/baking soda thing and see what happens. but I'll stick to once a week for now.

gold21

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 1:56 pm
I wash my hair daily and it looks shiny and healthy B"H.
I have not seen that shampoo dries my hair out or damages it.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 2:09 pm
If I didn't wash my hair, after a week I would be able to squeeze my hair and deep fry....ewwww!!!

gp2.0

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 2:12 pm
Some people have oilier skin than others (which results in oiler scalp.) So while those of us with oily skin can't save money on shampoo, we can save money on moisturizers because our faces hardly ever get dry skin...

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 2:13 pm
when you stop washing it so often, you stop producing as much oil. mine gets a little oily by the time I wash it. nothing gross, just a little extra moisture, which my hair has always needed anyway.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 2:14 pm
Interesting to see this come up... a few days ago DH actually asked me to start washing my hair more frequently. embarrassed I used to wash once (at most twice) a week and didn't really think about it. Between covering my hair and not particularly caring what it looks like underneath because it'll never be pretty anyway Sad , I didn't really notice when it got greasy or even had an oily-scalp smell. But DH's chin is level with the top of my head so he notices it a whole lot more than I do. I'm glad he felt comfortable asking me and I'm totally not offended.

I don't think I'd save soo much more money not buying shampoo either. I'd be willing to try vinegar or mayonnaise or whatever other condiment is the current trend for hair care if it did a better job, but not for purely monetary reasons. Oh, and I'd need DH to approve of the smell. I don't want to go around smelling like salad dressing.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 2:18 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
when you stop washing it so often, you stop producing as much oil. mine gets a little oily by the time I wash it. nothing gross, just a little extra moisture, which my hair has always needed anyway.

Not in my experience. The glands keep producing as much oil as my genes tell them to. The frequency of washing off the oil does not effect oil production in my case (if ever.)

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 2:24 pm
It really depends on what type of hair you have. YMMV.

Most people don't go no-poo for financial reasons, but because they are not getting the results they want with shampoo, or they want to avoid chemicals.

I went no-poo for several years, when my hair was past my waist. It worked really well, until I got a yeast infection on my scalp shortly after I got married and was covering full time. I ended up cutting my hair to shoulder length, and using a prescription shampoo. Unfortunately, it messed up my scalp PH, and made my hair all greasy again.

When my hair was uncovered, it always looked gorgeous with no-poo. I was telling a friend of mine about it, she's a cosmetologist. She was like "No way, that is so gross." and then she grabbed my head and sniffed my scalp! shock Then she looked up at me, and said "You smell nice! How does this work?" LOL

I'm actually thinking about going back to no-poo once I go through my bottle of shampoo. I've already started watering it down quite a bit. If you do the transition gradually it works better than going cold turkey. If I get dandruff or yeast again, I'll make a big batch of neem tea, and rinse with that. It works SO much better than the harsh prescription stuff. (Neem kills lice like crazy, too. I love the stuff.)

This community http://no-poo.livejournal.com is a great place to ask questions and get ideas. All the people there are very nice and helpful.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 4:35 pm
bigsis144 wrote:

I don't think I'd save soo much more money not buying shampoo either. I'd be willing to try vinegar or mayonnaise or whatever other condiment is the current trend for hair care if it did a better job, but not for purely monetary reasons. Oh, and I'd need DH to approve of the smell. I don't want to go around smelling like salad dressing.

Anyone who uses mayo might want to rinse her hair after with a degreaser soap like Dawn. More $$.

theoneandonly

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 4:51 pm
If I didn't wash my hair it would turn into Brillo, but worse. Hey, new business idea. Anyone wanna buy some extra-strength Brillo? LOL LOL LOL

Barbara

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 4:58 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Anyone who uses mayo might want to rinse her hair after with a degreaser soap like Dawn. More $$.

Anyone who uses mayo should (1) make sure its homemade -- and be sure to digest the debate over the best oil to use; (2) rinse with apple cider vinegar; and (3) be sure to add some romaine, tomatoes, scallions, garlic, etc.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 5:05 pm
I actually think this is a great money saving technique. Don't shampoo hair = smelly scalp = dh turned off = no relations = no pregnancy = huge savings!

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 5:10 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
I actually think this is a great money saving technique. Don't shampoo hair = smelly scalp = dh turned off = no relations = no pregnancy = huge savings!

this won't work if your dh is anosmic. as with everything, no-poo is not a 100% effective form of birth control. talk to your doctor before starting any new birth control regimen.

and don't forget to ask your rav if you can refuse to wash your hair as birth control.

Volunteer

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 11:28 pm
I've found that since I started covering my hair, I don't need conditioner as often, because my covering keeps my hair protected and helps retain the natural oils.

But, no shampoo? Uhhhh... I guess these women don't work out too much, or dance or play sports or anything. Vinegar isn't gonna cut it.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jan 17 2014, 6:54 am
It's more and more in fashion, I read (online).

I suppose they wash with water when exercizing?
some use baking soda (I'm not sure I've seen bakind soda irl, but I also read a lot about it online).

After a while the hair IS supposed to stop oiling...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics