Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Will taking 12 weeks maternity leave make me lose my job?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 9:52 pm
I am a teacher in a frum high school. Everyone takes 6 weeks, it is rare for someone to even take 8. I would like to take 12 weeks which is never done in frum schools. Now they want me to come back already since it is easier than having the substitute who doesn't know the students and how everything works in the school continue. For various reasons, it is a LOT easier to take 12 weeks and it would be extremely difficult to go back sooner.

I am worried that my job is at risk. No frum teachers in this school do it. They may want to just keep the replacement until the end of the year or hire someone new who is more responsible. Now I know that legally I can do this but I don't want to ruin my relationship with my boss. I am not the best employee and I don't want them to feel that I am causing problems and they can hire someone who doesn't need to take such long maternity leaves. Also, teaching is a new contract every year so they can easily not hire me back next year for no given reason.

Is it worth it to go back to work even though it will be very hard for me just to keep the peace? I know legally I'm protected but I don't want them to feel like I'm taking advantage and causing a hassle for them. They like things to run smoothly and get back to normal as soon as possible - I don't want them to resent me and replace me with a teacher who is not having babies every year.

What would you do? Would you suffer and deal with tremendous hassles and stress of going to work earlier when it will be really hard for you just to ensure the safety of your job? Or would you just take it anyway and hope they won't be mad enough to not re-hire you the next year?

groisamomma

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 9:54 pm
Don't be so sure you're legally protected in a frum school. There are very, very many ways to get around this law and they know all of them.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 9:56 pm
Do you have babies every year?

Willow43

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 10:00 pm
I hear your dilemma, I also hated going back to work- can you provide more details of why you don't want to go back? If its for health or emotional reasons perhaps have a heart to heart with your boss?
I always get so jealous of Canadians and Europeans- they have the longest maternity leave!!

Orchid

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 10:05 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Don't be so sure you're legally protected in a frum school. There are very, very many ways to get around this law and they know all of them.

Exactly. The law which would give you protection is the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and it only applies if you work full time, and there are >50 full time employees in that office . Other requirements... you can check out here
http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/fmla-faqs.htm

If FMLA applies, they are required to hold your job (unpaid) for 12 weeks. Otherwise, they are not required to hold your job. So don't be so certain you are protected.

Back to your question. Answer obviously would depend on how badly I needed the job.... if very badly I would probably return at 8 weeks (a bit of a compromise, I guess?)

sky

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 10:11 pm
groisamomma wrote:

I'm not 100% sure about this and it is different by state but in general FMLA only applies to companies with 50 employes or more and you must work at least 25 hours a week for 50 weeks. In frum schools these may not apply so they aren't held to FMLA.

SJcookie

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 2:47 am
The school I worked in probably wouldn't give me 12 weeks off & hire me again. The principal was often stressed with finding a qualified replacement every time a teacher would take a merely 6 week maternity leave (and that was usually once every two-three years for most teachers!)

But I think it depends on your relationship with the principal & also the time of year that you're giving birth.
For ex, if you're due in March/April, then perhaps 3 months leave may not be a big deal for them - since it's just a few more months left to the school year.

Assuming you're on good terms with him/her, why don't you just ask your supervisor/principal?

Bshaah tova! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics